Microwave food safety
Cooking Food in a Microwave
- Defrost foods completely before cooking.
- Stir the food occasionally to avoid having “cold spots”.
- Cut food into small portions and evenly arrange it to minimize overlapping. If possible, remove meat from bones.
- Use a microwave-safe cover or microwave-safe plastic wrap to cover the food.
- Follow all cooking instructions in a recipe or instructions on food packages.
- Use a digital food thermometer to check the thickest part of each piece of meat. Wash your digital food thermometer with warm, soapy water after each temperature reading.
- Never cook whole poultry, including turkey, in the microwave.
Get more food safety tips.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: