Review of Federal Government Contracts with McKinsey & Company
The Government of Canada has completed its review of contracts awarded to McKinsey & Company. The final report was released on June 27, 2023.
About the review
On January 11, 2023, the Prime Minister tasked the President of the Treasury Board and the Minister of Public Services and Procurement to undertake a review of contracts awarded to McKinsey & Company and examine if contracting processes complied with Treasury Board policy and departmental internal control frameworks.
On February 8, 2023, the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada asked departments subject to the Directive on the Management of Procurement to identify and undertake an internal audit of their contracts with McKinsey & Company from January 1, 2011, to February 7, 2023.
These audits examined the procurement practices for contracts with McKinsey & Company, to determine the extent to which:
- The integrity of the procurement process was maintained, consistent with adhering to the Values and Ethics Code for the Public Sector and the Directive on Conflict of Interest;
- The procurements were conducted in a fair, open and transparent manner, consistent with the Treasury Board (TB) Policy that was in place at the time (Contracting Policy or the Directive on the Management of Procurement); and
- The procurements were conducted in a manner consistent with the organization’s internal processes and control frameworks (i.e., consistent with procurement management frameworks, financial controls, security controls).
The internal audits were performed by the independent internal audit function of each department in conformance with the Institute of Internal Auditors’ professional standards as outlined in the International Professional Practices Framework. Each internal audit function produced a final report. In instances where opportunities for improvement were identified, the report includes a Management Action Plan that outlines specific measures being taken.
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat considered the findings from the internal audit reports and other relevant information to understand if there are any policy areas or procurement practices that may need to be strengthened, and identify possible actions for effective implementation, such as increased guidance and training. This work informed the final report.
Departmental audit reports:
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Department of Finance Canada
- Department of National Defence
- Employment and Social Development Canada
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
- Privy Council Office
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- Date modified: