Population of the Federal Public Service by Tenure
On this page
About the data
When reading the table below, the following information applies:
- Source of Information: Pay System as of of each year.
- The federal public service consists of 2 population segments: the core public administration and separate agencies.
- Departments and agencies in the core public administration are named in schedules I and IV of the Financial Administration Act. The Treasury Board is the employer of this segment of the federal public service.
- Separate agencies are named in Schedule V of the act. Separate agencies conduct their own negotiations or set their own classification levels for their employees.
- Included in this information are:
- active employees of all employment tenures (indeterminate, term, casual and student)
- Governor in Council appointees
- deputy ministers
- federal judges
- Excluded from this information are:
- inactive employees (employees on leave without pay)
- ministers’ exempt staff
- employees locally engaged outside of Canada
- RCMP Regular Force members
- RCMP Civilian members
- Canadian Forces members
- Population counts for the following separate agencies are not included because their employee information is not available in the Pay System:
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- National Capital Commission
- Canada Investment and Savings
- Canadian Forces Non-Public Funds
- Security Intelligence Review Committee (before 2010)
|Core public administration|
Indeterminate employees are those appointed to the Public Service whose tenure in the position is of an indefinite duration.
Term employees are those appointed for a specified period in accordance with Section 58 of the Public Service Employment Act.
Casual employees are those employed on a casual basis pursuant to section 50 of the Public Service Employment Act.
Students are those persons hired under one of the federal government’s student employment programs.
Unknown employees are those persons whose tenure is unknown or unspecified.
This information is published in HTML, XML and CSV formats and is part of the government’s Open Data Portal. The portal offers machine-readable formats, enabling citizens, private sector and non-government organizations to leverage this data in innovative and value-added ways.
| Population of the federal public service by tenure
(XML version – 29 KB)
(CSV version – 3 KB)
|These data present population counts by tenure for the federal public service (all departments and agencies governed by the Financial Administration Act (FAA) Schedules I, IV and V) from to .|
Glossary of key terms
To assist you with your analysis of Federal Public Service human resources data, we have compiled a glossary of key terms that are used in many of the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer’s (OCHRO) demographic snapshots and reports. This glossary has been developed to help provide a common language across OCHRO’s demographic snapshots and reports.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: