Management Accountability Framework
The Management Accountability Framework (MAF) is a framework for management excellence, accompanied by an annual assessment of management practices and performance in most departments and agencies of the Government of Canada.
The MAF is a key tool of oversight that is used by the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (TBS) to help ensure that federal departments and agencies are well managed, accountable and that resources are allocated to achieve results. It also ensures that Treasury Board Policy Suite requirements and expected results are met.
The Management Accountability Framework establishes the expectations for sound public sector management practices and performance. The MAF supports the management accountability of organizational deputy heads and improves management practices across government departments and agencies.
The objectives of the MAF are:
- To inform the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat about the state of policy implementation and practices;
- To support the management accountability of Deputy Ministers and Heads of Agencies by providing information about their organizations’ management capacity;
- To communicate and track progress on government-wide management priorities;
- To obtain an organizational and government-wide view of the state of management practices and performance in order to identify areas of management strength and any areas that require attention; and;
- To continuously improve management capabilities, effectiveness and efficiency government-wide.
MAF is a framework for a well-managed organization. It sets out the conditions that are required to achieve strong organizational performance.
In order to achieve management excellence, each element of the framework needs to have been considered and put into place.
MAF assessment process
The Management Accountability (MAF) assessment process involves a review of management practices and performance in small and large departments and agencies across the federal government on an annual basis.
MAF area of management methodologies
Each area of management (AoM) has a methodology which sets out the assessment criteria for the department or agency being assessed.
MAF government-wide results
At the end of the MAF cycle, a government-wide report is issued that provides a broader perspective on the MAF results. This report summarizes the state of management practices and performance government-wide for each area of management assessed.
- Large and small organizations assessed during Management Accountability Framework process
- The 2018-19 government-wide report can be made available by request. Please contact us.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: