2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters and Signal Squadron - History
The role of 2 CMBG HQ & Sigs Sqn is to advise and assist the Commander 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group in accomplishing the mission and to provide the commander and his staff with the communications necessary to exercise command and control over the formation. The Signal Squadron provides the personnel and equipment to form the Brigade Command Post, in which the Commander's staff works, and operates Combat Net Radio in the VHF and HF bands as the primary means of communication within the Brigade.
Additionally, the Squadron provides Radio Relay capabilities for data and voice communication, internal line systems and information systems support.
The Squadron has provided personnel and equipment for many United Nations and NATO missions, particularly Op Vagabond in 1988, Op Scalpel in 1991, and Op Alliance in 1996. Since those operations, there has always been at least a handful of personnel out on United Nations tours supporting other units.
The Squadron's roots can be traced back to the First World War with the formation of 1st Canadian Division Signal Company in Camp Valcartier Aug. 1914. The company was composed of line and cable detachments from the Canadian Engineers and visual signaling detachments and dispatch riders from the Canadian Signaling Corps. 3 Section was attached to 2nd Infantry Brigade. This section was disbanded after the war. When the Second World War started,1st Canadian Division Signal Regiment was mobilized, based on the Signal Company from the First World War. K Section was assigned to 2nd Infantry Brigade and accompanied the brigade in the Sicily, Italy, and Northwest Europe campaigns. At the end of the war the entire regiment, including K Section, was disbanded.
In post-war Germany, 27th Canadian Infantry Signal Squadron was formed to support 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade, which was Canada's contribution to the Allied Occupation Forces. In September 1952, the army went through a reorganization and the Squadron was absorbed into 1st Canadian Signal Regiment as J Troop, 3 Squadron. The troop remained in Germany for five more years, providing support to the 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade, the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade, and finally 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade. J Troop accompanied the last of these to Camp Borden in 1957.
In 1958 another reorganization took place and J Troop turned into 2 signal Squadron, assigned to support the newly formed 2 Canadian Infantry Brigade Group. The Brigade Group moved to Camp Petawawa in 1958 but due to lack of facilities, 2 Signal Squadron could not follow until 1960. In Petawawa, the Squadron was officially renamed 2 Combat Group Headquarters and Signals Squadron to reflect its evolving role.
The Squadron's name changed once again in April 1977 to the Special Service Force Headquarters and Signals Squadron in conjunction with the formation of the Special Service Force from the elements of 2 Combat Group and the Canadian Airborne Regiment. On 1 June 1995, the Squadron was once again renamed, following its parent formation, to the present 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters and Signals Squadron.
Despite many titles worn by the Squadron, the professionalism and dedication of the officers and soldiers of the Squadron has always been a constant. The Squadron remains true to its motto, as valid now as it was when the Canadian Signal Corps was formed in 1903: Velox Versutus Vigilans (Speed, Accuracy, Vigilance).
- Date modified: