5th Canadian Division Support Base - Gagetown
5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown (5 CDSB Gagetown) was officially opened in 1958 as a training facility. It boasts an 1,100 square km training area, 1,500 km of roads, 900 km of tracks and 740 buildings. As such, 5 CDSB Gagetown is the second largest military base in Canada and the largest military facility in Eastern Canada.
In New Brunswick, 5 CDSB Gagetown is the second largest public sector employer, after the province itself, and third largest employer behind Irving. The Base and its lodger units provide full-time employment to approximately 6,500 military members, including the Reserve Force, and 1,000 civilians. The Base contributes over 200 million dollars to the local economy and more than 700 million to the provincial economy annually.
The main garrison, located in the town of Oromocto, has a large impact on the local community. Base employees and their families represent roughly 75% of the 10 thousand residents of Oromocto. 5 CDSB Gagetown provides services to the town of Oromocto, including water and sewer treatment to the residents.
The total number of personnel at 5 CDSB Gagetown increases dramatically at different times of the year. The training area and facilities are used regularly by units from other Canadian Armed Forces Bases, Reserve units, Cadets, civilian police forces and even American military units. There is on average an additional 10,000 personnel training annually on the Base.
5 CDSB Gagetown consists of two large formations and numerous lodger units. 5th Canadian Division Support Group provides personnel, operational, logistical, financial, safety and environmental services to all Base units as well as military units across all four Atlantic Provinces and the Canadian Combat Support Brigade.
The other formation, the Combat Training Centre, is the centre of excellence for Army individual training. Here at 5 CDSB Gagetown, it consists of:
- Canadian Army Trials and Evaluation Unit
- Royal Canadian Armoured Corps School
- Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery School,
- Infantry School
- Tactics School
- Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering
5 CDSB Gagetown is also home to six operational units:
- 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment
- 4th Artillery Regiment (General Support)
- 4 Engineer Support Regiment
- 403 Helicopter Operational Training Squadron
- C Squadron, The Royal Canadian Dragoons
- Joint Meteorological Centre
More than a third of 5 CDSB Gagetown’s soldiers belong to these operational units which are prepared to deploy at home and abroad.
Additionally, there are a number of other units providing support and training to the soldiers:
- 42 Canadian Forces Health Services Centre
- 1 Dental Unit Detachment Gagetown
- Canadian Armed Forces Transition Unit NB/PEI
- 5th Canadian Division Training Centre
- Canadian Forces Postal Unit Detachment Gagetown
- Real Property Operations Unit (Atlantic) Detachment Gagetown
- 3 Military Police Regiment Detachment Gagetown
- Argonaut Army Cadet Summer Training Centre
5 CDSB Gagetown has built and maintains a strong relationship with its surrounding communities and is appreciative of the tremendous support it receives from them.
- Commander: Colonel D.R. Parsons
- Sergent-Major: Chief Warrant Officer Mike Hawthorn, MMM, CD
The following base services are available:
- Base Recreation
- Base Postal Services
- Housing and Family Resources
- Emergency Services
- Dental and Health Services
- Base Chapels
- Banking and Finances
- Pipes and Drums
More information on these services can be found here.
5 CDSB Gagetown
P.O. Box 17000
Oromocto, New Brunswick E2V 4J5
Phone: 506-422-2000 / 1-877-893-5500
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: