Atlantic Trade and Investment Growth Strategy: summary
The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) is working closely with the 4 Atlantic provincial governments to carry out the Atlantic Trade and Investment Growth Strategy (ATIGS). Together, the partners want to help you grow exports and boost foreign investment.
Halifax Harbour, Halifax, N.S.
ATIGS can help you:
- get tailored support to help meet your trade and development needs
- develop new and innovative ways to deliver services and attract investment
- take advantage of opportunities in international markets
- access the necessary tools to grow in an inclusive, innovative and sustainable way
- find support through engagement and outreach with regional stakeholders
Together the Government of Canada, through ACOA, and the 4 provincial governments will contribute up to $20 million over 5 years through the Atlantic Trade and Investment Growth Agreement (ATIGA).
ATIGS – the strategy
Launched in 2017, and updated in 2022, ATIGS is a federal-provincial collaboration that puts Atlantic Canada solidly on the path to a more innovative, diverse and globally competitive economy. It’s designed to create jobs and strengthen the economy.
How? The strategy’s partners are working towards 3 main objectives:
- Increase the number of Atlantic firms engaging in international business activity
- Increase the capacity of Atlantic firms to strategically enter new international markets, or sustain or increase their international trade
- Strengthen the region's capacity to attract foreign direct investment
Get the whole picture
Take an in-depth look at how the partners are helping to grow your business in international markets. Read the Atlantic Trade and Investment Growth Strategy in full.
See the real-life benefits in Atlantic Canada and beyond, that have been made possible over the last 6 years.
To monitor progress against the objectives, a performance measurement framework will be established in the first year of the 2022 strategy.
ATIGA – the funding agreement
ATIGA financially supports the strategy’s efforts. The Government of Canada and the 4 Atlantic Provinces will provide up to $20 million over 5 years to fund ATIGS. The federal government, through ACOA, is investing up to $14 million, and the 4 provincial governments will provide the remaining $6 million.
ATIGS represents a collaborative approach among the federal and provincial governments in Atlantic Canada. The strategy partners are:
- The Government of Canada: Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (lead); Global Affairs Canada
- The Government of Nova Scotia
- The Government of New Brunswick
- The Government of Prince Edward Island
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
The partners will engage other federal and provincial departments and organizations in the development and implementation of specific initiatives in support of this strategy.
Contact us today!
Ready to start exporting? ACOA Business Information Services is here to help. We’ll connect you to the right people and programs to help you achieve your goals. Our service is personal, bilingual and free. Call us at 1-888-576-4444 and get started today!
Or contact us by email:
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm (Atlantic time)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: