3 ways to be #FloodReady
3 ways to be #floodready - Text version
Floods are among the most frequent and costly natural disasters in Canada.
Simple prevention measures can reduce your losses:
Learn about floods
- Floods can occur in any region of Canada, at any time of year.
- Causes vary, including heavy rainfall, quick snow melt, ice jams, and failure of a dam or other infrastructure.
- Urban flooding is a growing problem, with more than $20 billion in flood damage between 2003 and 2012.
Know the risks
- If you live in a vulnerable location, your house and belongings can be damaged.
- Water damage can cause mould growth, which could harm your family’s health.
- Overland flood damage is not covered by most standard home insurance policies.
Be part of the solution
- Talk to your insurer to find out about what’s covered under your policy.
- Contact your municipal government website to find out about their programs on flooding.
- Learn what you can do to protect your property, from DIY fixes to more complex steps.
Don’t wait for the water!
Take steps to protect your property.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: