The Hungarian Monument stands on Maple Island, near Sussex Drive, in Ottawa.
In 1956, thousands of Hungarians fled their country to escape an oppressive Soviet regime. Canada responded by offering significant humanitarian assistance. It also permitted the rapid resettlement of close to 40,000 Hungarian refugees in Canada in the months following the revolution. Fifty years later, this monument was erected to commemorate Canada’s response to this desperate situation. The monument inscription reads:
“May this monument be a lasting symbol of the gratitude of Hungarian refugees who, having escaped after the revolution in Hungary, were welcomed and provided a safe haven to rebuild their lives in Canada.”
The Hungarian Monument was unveiled on October 4, 2006.
- Date modified: