Youth Forums Canada – Exchanges Canada
Youth Forums Canada funds Canadian organizations that provide workshops and conferences that connect youth – between the ages of 14 and 25 – to share ideas about Canadian issues, institutions, history, official languages, sports or the arts. Participants meet in a central location, then spend time learning about Canada and exploring a unique Canadian community.
Who can apply
To be eligible, youth must be:
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; and
- between the ages of 14 and 25.
How to apply
Canadian Heritage supports a number of youth forums each year, which are administered by various delivery organizations. Individuals may apply to participate in a forum by contacting the funded delivery organizations. Two of these delivery organizations are:
- Encounters with Canada: Every week of the school year, more than 120 teens (ages 14 to 17) come to Ottawa to learn about important Canadian institutions and meet famous and accomplished Canadians. Through an extraordinary, bilingual experience, participants have the chance to discover their country, explore career pathways and develop leadership skills.
- Forum for Young Canadians: This is a bilingual, non-partisan educational experience for Canadian high school and CEGEP (Quebec) students. Each year, more than 300 students (ages 15 to 19 years) from across the country are selected to participate. Students are brought to Ottawa for an intensive academic adventure that immerses them in the exciting world of national politics and public affairs. Participants have the opportunity to develop leadership skills and to learn about how government and parliamentary democracy works.
Individuals may contact the program for information on other funded organizations.
Costs vary depending on the youth forum experience. As a general rule, participants should expect to pay registration or application fees as well as costs for local transportation. Please check with the forum delivery organization for further details.
To help offset the costs of a forum, youth may be required to participate in fundraising activities.
Please contact the organizations listed above for deadline details.
- Contact us
- Department of Canadian Heritage
Exchanges Canada Program
15 Eddy Street, 8th Floor
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: