Checklist for interns – Young Canada Works
You have been hired for an internship with Young Canada Works (YCW). Congratulations! What’s next? The following checklist will guide you through each step of the process.
On this page
- Before you start your internship
- Before you travel abroad
- Laws and rights relating to your work
- As you begin your internship
- During your internship
- At the end of your internship
Before you start your internship
- Do you know which program of YCW is financing your internship? If not, ask your employer.
- Are you familiar with the objectives of YCW and, more specifically, with the objectives of the program in which you are participating?
- Have you completed the Candidate Eligibility Form via your YCW online account?
- Are you required to travel more than 125 km from your primary residence to your internship site? If so, talk to your employer or delivery organization about the possibility of reimbursement for your transportation costs.
- Are you covered by medical insurance in case of illness or injury? If you are travelling to a different province/territory for your internship, be sure to verify that your medical insurance will cover costs in your province/territory of work.
- Have you asked your employer all the necessary questions (salary and benefits, hours of work, vacation, contract between you and your employer, etc.)?
- Have you settled all details regarding lodging?
- Will you be living in a safe, easily accessible area?
Before you travel abroad
- Have you talked to your employer or delivery organization about the possibility of reimbursement for your transportation and accommodation costs?
- Do you have proper medical insurance for the country to which you are travelling? It is recommended you have medical insurance in addition to your provincial or territorial insurance to ensure you have adequate protection in case of illness or injury.
- Do you have a valid Canadian passport? Will it still be valid at least six months after your projected return date?
- Have you taken the necessary steps with your employer to obtain all necessary visas?
- Have you left a copy of your itinerary and proof of Canadian citizenship with your family or a friend in case of emergency?
- Before leaving Canada, you must register with the Government of Canada using the online service Registration of Canadians Abroad. When you arrive in the country of destination, do not forget to activate your registration with the Canadian embassy or mission.
Note: In the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the 2021–2022 funding of internships abroad (international) under the Young Canada Works in Building Careers in English and French (YCWBCEF) program is cancelled. The YCWBCEF program is open to receive funding requests for internships in Canada only.
Laws and rights relating to your work
- Have you asked a representative of your provincial or territorial labour bureau all relevant questions pertaining to labour laws and/or your rights as an employee?
- Did you know that you are subject to local laws?
As you begin your internship
- Have you carefully read the description of your internship?
- Are you fully aware of the salary agreement?
- Have you signed the work contract confirming your acknowledgment and acceptance of your tasks and the proposed salary?
- Have you kept a copy of the signed contract?
- Have you completed the Staffing Report during the first week of work via your YCW online account?
During your internship
- Does your internship correspond to the description provided by your employer?
- Are you being paid according to the salary agreed upon, and in a timely fashion?
- Have you discussed your concerns or problems with your employer, as applicable?
- Have you advised your delivery organization of any problems you are having, as applicable?
At the end of your internship
- Have you completed the Evaluation Questionnaire via your YCW online account?
- Have you completed the End of Work Term Report via your YCW online account?
- Have you shared your success story with your delivery organization?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: