Victim Representative

What is a victim representative?

A person chosen by a victim to receive information about the offender on their behalf at anytime during the federal sentence.

Representatives can include:

friends, family members, faith group representatives, an Elder, lawyer, member of a police force, a community victim services organization, an employee from another level of government, or others.

Why have a representative?

They receive notifications on your behalf which may help ease your state of mind.

They can share the information at a time that is right for you.

They know you and can help explain things clearly.

They may speak your language or be familiar with your culture.

You can work with someone you know and trust, which may give some comfort.

Steps to naming someone as your representative

  1. Ask the person if they will take on this role for you.
  2. Let the Correctional Service of Canada or the Parole Board of Canada know by mail, email, or directly through the Victims Portal.
  3. Once you have shared their contact information with us, your representative will be contacted to confirm their participation and contact preferences.
  4. Once your representative is confirmed, offender information will be directly provided to them.
  5. You can stop using a representative or name a new representative at anytime.

For more information:

Page details

Date modified: