Information about COVID-19 in the Ontario Region
December 17, 2020 – Kingston, Ontario – Correctional Service Canada
The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) advises that inmates at three institutions in Ontario have recently tested positive for COVID-19:
- 80 positive cases at Joyceville Institution - Medium Security Unit
- 5 positive cases at Collins Bay Institution – Medium Security Unit
- 3 positive cases at Warkworth Institution
The inmates who tested positive and their close contacts are being medically isolated and closely monitored by staff. The inmates at Collins Bay and Warkworth who just tested positive were recently at Joyceville and based on the initial epidemiological investigation, it appears that the inmates were exposed to the virus at Joyceville Institution.
In addition, all inmates who were recently transferred out of Joyceville Institution are being medically isolated in their respective institution and monitored by staff. These impacted sites have also modified their institutions’ routines for health purposes in order to mitigate any risk while contact tracing and the initial epidemiological investigation is being conducted. Testing is being offered to all staff and inmates at these institutions.
Prior to the recent cases, CSC had already suspended visits in the Ontario region and implemented a series of infection prevention and control measures. We recognize the importance of strong infection prevention and control protocols to contain the spread of COVID-19 and are focussing on closely monitoring the situation. CSC is working closely with its public health partners to contain the transmission of COVID-19 to the greatest extent possible.
The health and safety of offenders, our employees, and the public remain our top priority throughout this
pandemic. We are monitoring this situation closely and will continue to work with our public health partners, as well as unions and stakeholders to take any further steps needed to ensure everyone's safety.
- CSC provides its own health care to inmates and has dedicated health care professionals, including nurses and physicians, in its institutions who closely monitor anyone in medical isolation.
- With visits temporarily suspended in Ontario, other options such as video visitation or telephone are available to inmates to connect with their family and support networks.
A/Regional Communications Manager
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: