DRDC at DEFSEC Atlantic
Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) is the research and development partner of choice for Canadian industry seeking to develop emerging defence and security science and technology products.
DRDC staff are looking forward to connecting with current and potential partners in person at DEFSEC Atlantic from October 3 to 5, 2023 in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Over the course of three days, DRDC staff will be available to meet with industry, academia and government representatives to discuss the latest in research and development (R&D) for Canada’s defence and security.
If you are involved in defence R&D, or you are curious to learn more about partnership opportunities with DRDC, meet with one of our subject matter experts, located at booth E112 at the Halifax Convention Centre, 1650 Argyle St, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
On this page
- Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) program
- Canadian Safety and Security Program (CSSP)
- Research and funding partnerships
- Defence and Security Science and Technology program
- Research and development capabilities
- Research centres
- Job opportunities
- Contact us
Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) is Canada's defence science, technology and innovation leader. We develop and deliver new technical solutions and advice to the Department of National Defence (DND), the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), and safety and security communities.
- 7 research centres across Canada
- $400 million annual funding
What we do
DRDC’s science and technology innovation investment focuses on eight strategic focus areas in the Defence and Security Science and Technology program, including Defence of North America, Advance Platforms and Weapons and Enabling Safety and Security.
How we do it
DRDC works with partners in industry, academia, other government departments and international allies to deliver science and technology solutions to the CAF, DND and public safety and security communities.
Work with DRDC in building the future of defence science and technology: DRDCPartnerships-PartenariatsRDDC@forces.gc.ca.
Continental Defence Science and Technology Investment
What is the Continental Defence Science and Technology Investment?
We are investing in the Canadian innovation ecosystem to support North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) modernization and continental defence. Announced in June 2022, the Continental Defence Science and Technology (S&T) Investment of $4.23 billion over 20 years will focus on innovation and development making use of Canadian industrial capacity and academic research.
The Continental Defence S&T Investment consists of:
- Assessing new and emerging threats
- Enabling continuous evolution of research and development (R&D)
- Co-developing innovative technological solutions with Canada’s closest allies, particularly with the United States
Why do we need the Continental Defence Science and Technology Investment?
The Continental Defence S&T Investment is key to the modernization of NORAD, which will help Canada meet evolving security challenges, reaffirm shared commitments, and reinforce close cooperation with the US.
- Polar over-the-horizon-radar (OTHR)
- Hypersonic and advanced cruise missile defence
- Novel and resilient space systems in low earth orbit (LEO)
- Autonomy and counter-autonomy
- Undersea surveillance
- Cyber and artificial intelligence (AI)
- Quantum technologies
- Cloud-enabled command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR)
- Enabling defence research and development in the Arctic
- Date modified: