Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS)
A New Approach to Innovation for Defence and Security
The Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) program will support research to help solve Canada’s challenges in defence and security.
- provide financial support to innovators and researchers to perform research, generate knowledge or solve problems to address defence and security challenges that DND and security partners will identify;
- support research and development (R&D) networks to address such challenges; and
- support innovation from problem definition to early adoption of the solution.
How is IDEaS different?
The IDEaS Program will introduce new approaches by:
- facilitating partnership opportunities between innovators, industry and other defence and security stakeholders;
- providing ongoing calls for innovation to highlight emerging requirements and opportunities for innovators to engage in defence and security challenges;
- supporting projects to allow for development of promising ideas;
- acquiring limited pre-production quantities of innovations to be evaluated in operational settings; and
- using a web portal to broadcast defence and security challenges to recruit appropriate S&T expertise across academia, industry, government and other partners.
Why is IDEAS necessary?
Innovative technology, knowledge, and problem solving are critical for Canada and its allies to mitigate new threats, stay ahead of potential adversaries, and meet evolving defence and security needs. In this environment, Canada’s defence and security stakeholders need a fundamentally new approach to innovation to allow them to better tap into the extraordinary talent and ingenuity resident across the country. The IDEaS program will launch a number of coordinated new initiatives that will transform the way we generate solutions to complex problems.
Launch of the IDEaS Program is expected in Fall 2017. More details about the program will be forthcoming.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: