New Civilian Employees Onboarding Cheat Sheet
Welcome to DND!
Congratulations on accepting your new job offer with the Department of National Defence (DND)!
As a new employee, it is important to understand what your role is within our department and to understand how to effectively use your time with us to help you move forward in your career within the public service. Below you will find several resources that you can refer to during your onboarding and employment that will help you during your time with us.
Reminder to Register For DND’s Orientation for New Civilian Employees
Don’t forget to register for DND’s Orientation for New Civilian Employees. You can find the registration instructions in your welcome email. If you have not yet received an invitation, please contact the National Civilian Welcome and Integration Team (NCWIT) with a copy of your Letter of Offer.
Learning and Development
Check out the training and development tools offered by the Canada School of Public Service (CSPS) and the Defence Learning Network (DLN).
- Review the Defence Learning Catalogue* (only available on the National Defence network) for information on required and recommended training.
- Review the various developmental training offered through CSPS and the DLN and discuss your individual training plan with your manager, to be included on your Public Service Performance Agreement (PSPA).
All new employees are encouraged to have a Mentor* or a Peer Partner to help them integrate into their new role, to feel part of the Defence Team community, and to guide them through their ongoing career development.
Discuss your Public Service Performance Agreement (PSPA) with your manager early to ensure you understand your manager’s expectations of you. The PSPA spells out an employee’s performance expectations and progress throughout the annual cycle.
Take some time to build relationships with peers and colleagues to develop your Network and get to know others within the Defence Team.
- GCCollab – This is the Government of Canada’s professional collaboration platform.
- GCConnex – This is the Government of Canada’s professional social networking platform.
- Take the CSPS Course ‘Building your Professional Network (TRN127)’ on Learning Platform.
- Ask your manager if your Unit has a Social Committee or Facebook page.
- Take some time to review the various Communities within the Defence Team and join ones that are of interest to you:
Pay and Benefits
Have questions about your Pay and Benefits?
- Review the Pay and Benefits Quick Facts for New Employees.
- Explore the Compensation and Benefits* page.
- Contact HR Connect RH* to speak with an advisor
Take some time to review the various HR Programs available to you:
Be sure to check out the various events that take place across the GC:
- Subscribe to the GCLearning Newsletter to be informed about upcoming events.
- Check out the Defence Team Special Events* page to see events taking place within DND.
- The National Defence Workplace Charitable Campaign (NDWCC)* hosts events yearly between September and February. Keep an eye out for their events! You don’t want to miss out.
Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion is a top priority of DND and CAF making the Defence Team strong and successful.
- Join one of the Defence Employment Equity Advisory Groups* (DAGs)
- Become a Positive Space* Ambassador
- Diversity and inclusion in the public service.
- Complete Self - Identification* to have enhanced opportunities and support the achievements of a representative workforce
Take the time to attend the different training and learning opportunities offered by CSPS:
- Indigenous Learning Series
- Introduction to Gender-Based Analysis Plus (GBA+)
- Workplace Accommodation for Federal Public Employees (C345)
*Links only accessible with a valid DND login and work laptop/computer.
To help guide you through your onboarding experience, be sure to refer to the New Civilian Employee Onboarding Checklist. The New Civilian Employee Onboarding Checklist is made up of several checklists that will guide you across the onboarding lifecycle, starting on your first day and then at key milestones throughout the first year. It’s essential that you complete all of the tasks as it will help you grow, integrate and become more familiar with the Defence Team.
Have questions? Reach out to HR Connect RH* at 1-833-RHR-MDND (1-833-747-6363)
- Date modified: