DAOD 2017-0, Military Grievances
Date of Issue: 2012-02-03
Date of Last Modification: 2015-11-26
Application: This DAOD is an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
- CFAO 19-32, Redress of Grievance
- CANFORGEN 092/06, Canadian Forces Grievance Authority – Registry
- CANFORGEN 110/06, Disclosure of Information to DND and CF Members
- CANFORGEN 127/08, Initial Authority for PER Grievances
- CANFORGEN 224/08, CF Grievance Submission Time Limits
- CANFORGEN 208/09, Assistance by Legal Counsel During the Grievance Process
- CANFORGEN 009/10, Change of Procedures – Staffing of Grievances
- CF Grievance Manual
Approval Authority: Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS)
Enquiries: Director General Canadian Forces Grievance Authority (DGCFGA)
2.1 Subsection 29(1) of the National Defence Act (NDA) provides that a CAF member who has been aggrieved by any decision, act or omission in the administration of the affairs of the CAF for which no other process for redress is provided under the NDA is entitled to submit a grievance.
2.2 The CAF is committed to ensuring that every CAF member who has been aggrieved:
- has the opportunity to exercise their right to submit a grievance; and
- receives a well-explained, timely and impartial determination of their grievance.
2.3 The Canadian Armed Forces Grievance System (CAFGS) must ensure that:
- all grievances are processed as efficiently and expeditiously as possible;
- a CAF member is not penalized for submitting a grievance; and
- assistance is made available to a CAF member in the preparation of a grievance.
2.4 Detailed information for CAF members, commanding officers (COs) and redress authorities in respect of the CAFGS is provided:
- in DAOD 2017-1, Military Grievance Process; and
- on the DGCFGA Web site and intranet site.
Consequences for Non-Compliance
3.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for both the DND and the CAF as institutions, and for CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance may be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance.
4.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The ...||has the authority to ...|
|Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS)||
|commander or officer appointed to the position of Director General or above at National Defence Headquarters||
|CO of a grievor||
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 2017-1, Military Grievance Process
- DGCFGA Web site and intranet site
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: