5019-6 Annex B - Canadian Armed Forces Member Code of Conduct: In Support of the Cadet Program
Canadian Armed Forces Member Code of Conduct:
In Support of the Cadet Program
- The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Member Code of Conduct: In Support of the Cadet Program, applies to any CAF member working in support of the Cadet Program.
- The Cadets and Junior Canadian Rangers (CJCR) is committed to providing a safe, welcoming and supportive program where everyone feels valued and is able to achieve their maximum potential. Treating each other with respect and fairness, and acting and making decisions in the best interest of others, are integral to maintaining a positive environment; free from all forms of discrimination, abuse, inappropriate conduct and damaging behaviour.
- As CAF members working in support of the Cadet Program, you are reminded that you must comply with regulations, policies, directives, orders and instructions. You are expected to do the right thing and to demonstrate what is right at all times; on and off duty, in and out of uniform, in all situations whether in-person or virtual.
- Actions and behaviours of CAF members that negatively impact the mission of creating an environment in the CJCR that is free from all forms of discrimination, abuse, inappropriate conduct and damaging behaviour, will not be tolerated.
- As CAF members, this code of conduct has been developed to provide an opportunity for you to:
- review, reflect on and discuss key behaviours that define expectations of professional conduct in the CJCR;
- acknowledge your commitment and responsibility to comply with all regulations, policies, directives, orders and instructions; and
- acknowledge that you will align your behaviour with the values of the CAF and CJCR and comply with the laws of Canada, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- As a CAF memberI providing services in the Cadet Program, you must:
- foster and maintain a culture that is aligned with the principles and values outlined in the Department of National Defence and CAF Code of Values and Ethics;
- behave in a calm, reasonable and professional manner that conforms to expectations of the Government of Canada, CAF and CJCR;
- always prioritize safety and mitigate risk to the fullest extent possible to avoid endangering any cadet, Junior Canadian Ranger (JCR), other CAF member or adult staff;
- act with integrity. Respond and take corrective action when someone is not conforming with CAF or CJCR regulations, policies, directives, orders and instructions, even when others do not;
- know and understand your authority, responsibility and accountability in your assigned role;
- foster open communication; help create an environment where all feel encouraged to share ideas and contribute meaningfully to a discussion;
- create and reinforce an environment where all have access and opportunity to, and feel safe to, report inappropriate and harmful behaviour without fear of reprisal;
- acknowledge issues raised by cadets and JCRs and communicate their ideas through the chain of command, as appropriate, to better the organization;
- seek guidance from and support the chain of command and report harmful or inappropriate behaviours;
- immediately report any allegation or suspicion of a criminal nature to the proper authorities and not conduct your own investigation;
- be respectful of others, including their physical boundaries, personal property and privacy;
- use a calm and reasonable tone of voice when interacting with others, particularly when giving instructions or addressing concerns;
- abstain from deliberations about the conduct, selection, promotion or recognition of cadets, JCRs and other staff members with whom you have a familial relationship;
- set a positive example for dress, deportment and professional conduct, and be kind and considerate of the impact of your actions and behaviours on the organization and other persons;
- be respectful of the environment and your surroundings;
- ensure all activities are approved and avoid activities that may be perceived as inappropriate or bringing discredit to the CJCR;
- speak only about your own experiences within the CAF and the CJCR as you are not authorized to act as a spokesperson for the CAF or CJCR to the media, or within any public forum on any topic without permission from the chain of command;
- refrain from sharing personal opinions, improper comments or speculation regarding government decisions, policies and cadet programs publically. You are not authorized to share these in any public forum, in writing or verbally, whether in-person or virtually;
- refrain from behaviours that are illegal and do not:
- participate in criminal or unlawful activities, or assist or knowingly allow cadets, JCRs , CAF members, or other adult staff members to participate in any behavior in contravention of the law;
- engage in any form of harassment as described in DAOD 5012-0, Harassment Prevention and Resolution;
- engage in romantic, sexual, or intimate conversations or relationships with any cadet or JCR, or engage in an adverse personal relationship as described in DAOD 5019-1, Personal Relationships and Fraternization;
- engage in any form of sexual misconduct as described in DAOD 9005-1, Sexual Misconduct Response; and
- engage in racist or hateful conduct as described in CF Mil Pers Instruction 01/20, Hateful Conduct.
- Failure by CAF members to comply with this code of conduct and laws, regulations, policies, directives, orders and instructions may result in administrative or disciplinary action, or both.
- I acknowledge by my signature below that I have read and understand this code of conduct, have asked questions for clarification as required, and agree to comply with this code of conduct.
Position / Title
CAF member (Print Name & Sign)
I have reviewed the CI Code of Conduct with the above CI and clarified their understanding of its content.
Position / Title
Supervisor (Print Name & Sign)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: