Following a death

Dealing with the death of a loved one is difficult. Here is a list that can help you identify what to do when someone passes away.

First steps

The funeral director will register the death by completing the Statement of Death. This will be done with information received from a family member and the medical certificate.

Obtain a death certificate

  • Learn how to order a death certificate and get the application form for the deceased's province or territory.
  • If the person died abroad, the certificate must be obtained in the country where the death took place.

What to cancel

  • Pensions and benefits
    Find out how to cancel the deceased's various benefits including Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance and tax-related payments.
  • Personal identification
    Find out how to cancel the deceased's personal identification cards, registrations, and other documents.
  • Social Insurance Number
    Find out how to cancel the deceased’s Social Insurance Number.

Benefits you may be eligible to receive

Managing personal finances

  • Financial checklist
    Learn about the key financial matters to consider while overseeing the deceased's finances as an executor or administrator.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: