Language selection


Doing taxes for someone who died

There can be a lot to do when someone dies. Here's what you'll need to do to settle their tax accounts with the CRA.

What to do immediately after the death

Notify the CRA of the date of death

Call the CRA to report the date of death and cancel or transfer benefit payments

Apply for the CPP/QPP death benefit

A payment of up to $2,500 made to the estate or other eligible individuals on behalf of a deceased CPP/QPP contributor

Represent someone who died

If you’ve been named the executor, if there is no will, to access tax accounts, to authorize a representative

Plan and file tax returns

Prepare tax returns for someone who died

Tax returns you need to file, report income, capital gains, plans such as RRSPs and TFSAs, claim credits and deductions

Close a business and report business income of someone who died

Report business income, close or transfer accounts such as GST and payroll

Settle the estate

Apply for a clearance certificate

Why you need a clearance certificate, when to distribute cash or assets, if tax amounts are owing after distribution


From: Canada Revenue Agency

Page details

Date modified: