Call for proposals: Investment Readiness Program – Stream 2: Ecosystem builder: Closed
On this page
Current status: Closed
This call for proposals was open from August 06, 2021 to September 16, 2021 at 3:00 pm Eastern daylight time (EDT).
Note: Only specific groups or sectors can apply. Should you wish to submit a proposal, or if you have questions or feedback on this process , please email us at EDSC.CN.PPI-IRP.NC.ESDC@servicecanada.gc.ca before September 8, 2021 at 3:00 pm (EDT).
Based on the success of the pilot program, the renewed Investment Readiness Program (IRP) will continue to advance Social Innovation and Social Finance (SI/SF) in Canada. It will support social purpose organizations (SPOs) to build their capacity to access social finance and a strengthened SI/SF ecosystem. SPOs are organizations with a social or environmental mission. SPOs straddle the charitable and non-profit sector and the private sector.
The renewed IRP will be delivered under 2 streams:
- stream 1 (Readiness support partners) will provide funding to SPOs to build skills and capacity to access social finance investment. SPOs will use the funding to get help do market analyses, develop new products and services, build business plans and acquire technical expertise
- stream 2 (Ecosystem builders) will invest in projects that help grow and strengthen the SI/SF ecosystem. This will provide another layer of support to SPOs
The call for proposals for the IRP will be done using a 2-round process. To allow for the continuity of the momentum from the pilot IRP, identified organizations that meet the criteria will be invited to submit their proposals during Round 1. However, other organizations that meet the criteria for this process can also choose to submit a proposal during Round 1. They are also able to express an interest in submitting a proposal for Round 2, which will be launched at a later date.
In order to further meet the objectives of the renewed IRP, organizations who are serving and/or being led by Women, Indigenous Peoples, Black People and other Racialized Communities, Official Language Minority Communities, People with Disabilities and other equity-deserving group are encouraged to submit a proposal or express an interest in submitting a proposal for Round 2.
The IRP supports the Government of Canada’s goal to increase inclusion and opportunities for participation of Canadians in their communities.
The total grants and contributions funding envelope for the IRP is $45,815,426. We anticipate that we will sign agreements with 20 to 30 organizations to deliver the IRP.
The objective of this process is to fund organizations to build and strengthen the SI/SF ecosystem.
This funding will support projects that build and strengthen the SI/SF ecosystem in these areas:
- investing in inclusive innovation to ensure that leaders and organizations from equity-deserving groups are engaged, represented and welcome in the SI/SF ecosystem
- strengthening networks of expertise in the SI/SF ecosystem, including specialized services to equity-deserving groups
- conducting research and disseminate tools and knowledge on gaps in the SI/SF ecosystem
- investing in SPO capacity to participate in social procurement markets in Canada
- connecting the IRP and the broader SI/SF ecosystem to ensure that IRP partners and other stakeholders are engaged with each other and the ecosystem
The IRP seeks to reach SPOs that serve and are led by:
- Indigenous peoples
- Black canadians and other racialized communities
- official language minority communities
- people with disabilities
- other equity-deserving groups
The successful projects will begin in Fall 2021 and end by March 31, 2023.
Organizations solicited for this funding
Organizations solicited for this funding must:
- be engaged in activities linked to SI/SF in Canada
- have the ability to build relationships and work with other organizations to achieve project goals
- ensure diversity and inclusion are built into their project activities
- have expertise in at least one of the ecosystem builder activity areas :
- investing in inclusive innovation
- strengthening networks of expertise
- conducting research and disseminating tools and knowledge
- building SPO social procurement capacity, and
- connecting the IRP
We have identified 10 organizations that meet these criteria in round 1 of this process.
The following organizations, in alphabetical order, were identified and invited to apply on August 06, 2021:
- Buy Social Canada
- Canadian Community Economic Development Network (CCEDNet)
- Common Approach to Impact Measurement (3ci), Carleton University
- Congress of Aboriginal Peoples
- Cooperatives and Mutuals Canada
- Imagine Canada
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Native Women’s Association of Canada
- Social Economy through Social Inclusion (SETSI)
- Startup Canada
Eligible organizations may only submit 1 application for funding under this call.
Eligible organizations are those located in Canada and must be one of the following types:
- non-profit organization
- cooperative or mutual
- provincial and territorial government entity including institutions, agencies and Crown Corporations; inclusive of educational institutions, public health and social services organizations
- National Indigenous Organization, Modern Treaty and Self Government Agreement Holder, or Indigenous non-government organization
- international organization*
- for-profit organization, inclusive of hybrid corporate models, provided that the nature and intent of the activity:
- is non-commercial
- is not intended to generate profit, and
- supports program priorities and objectives
*These organizations must have a Canada Revenue Agency business or registration number, or proof of provincial incorporation or registration
Find information on funded grants and contribution projects in proactive disclosure.
Should you wish to submit a proposal, or if you have questions or feedback on this process , please email us at EDSC.CN.PPI-IRP.NC.ESDC@servicecanada.gc.ca before September 8, 2021 at 3:00 pm (EDT).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: