New CESP Application Form (including SAGES)
Disclaimer: RESP promoters
The information contained on this page is technical in nature and is intended for Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) and Canada Education Savings Program promoters. For general information, visit the RESP section.
Official title: New CESP Application Form (including SAGES)
- Number :
- Date :
- June 5, 2013
- Subject :
- New CESP Application Form (including SAGES)
This Information Bulletin updates Notice #350 dated June 2, 2009.
The purpose of this Information Bulletin is to announce the launch of the new Canada Education Savings Program (CESP) Application Form and to provide RESP providers with an overview of the form.
In 2011, the Registered Education Savings Plan Advisory Group (RESPAG) Operations Table formed a “Streamlined Application Form” sub-working group with the objective of streamlining the existing application forms by reducing the number of forms from three to one, simplifying the form and associated application process, and increasing the take-up rate of all CESP incentives.
The sub-working group, comprised of representatives from the financial industry, the Canada Revenue Agency and Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, reviewed and recommended changes to the existing forms. The first draft of the new application form was presented to the industry in June 2012. Further consultations and amendments were made between June and November 2012, and a revised draft was presented to the industry in December 2012.
New Form Number
The new CESP Application Form, HRSDC SDE 0093 replaces:
- HRSDC SDE 0069;
- HRSDC SDE 0071;
- HRSDC SDE 0073.
Use of the Form
The new application form, which includes a main form and three annexes, can now be used to apply for the Basic and Additional Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG), the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), and the Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES).
In many situations, only the main application form needs to be completed. The annexes can be downloaded and completed separately from the main application form as needed:
- ANNEX A can be used for multiple beneficiaries;
- ANNEX B must be used when the subscriber is not the beneficiary’s primary caregiver (PCG) and/or custodial parent/legal guardian; and
- ANNEX C can be used to apply for SAGES.
Overview - Main Form
APPLICATION: Basic and Additional Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) and Canada Learning Bond (CLB) (SDE 0093)
This part of the form (the main form) is used by the subscriber to apply for the Basic CESG, the Additional CESG, and the CLB.
Note: If the subscriber is not the PCG and the custodial parent/legal guardian, ANNEX B must be completed.
Overview - ANNEX A
ANNEX A – Additional Beneficiaries (SDE 0093-A)
- Previously, a separate CESP application form was required for each beneficiary. Now, the custodial parent/legal guardian can use ANNEX A when there are multiple beneficiaries named to the same RESP.
- If there are cousins in the RESP, a separate copy of the annex should be completed by each custodial parent/legal guardian for their children.
- Note that in order to receive the Additional CESG and/or the CLB, all beneficiaries named to the RESP must be siblings.
Overview - ANNEX B
ANNEX B – Primary Caregiver and/or Custodial Parent/Legal Guardian (SDE 0093‑B)
ANNEX B must be completed when the subscriber is not the PCG and/or the custodial parent/legal guardian of the beneficiary. This annex is required in order for:
- the PCG to provide their personal information and consent to designate the RESP for the Additional CESG and the CLB; and
- the custodial parent/legal guardian to provide the beneficiary’s personal information (including the Social Insurance Number), and consent to the use of this information.
When completing ANNEX B, two different scenarios could apply:
- The PCG is also custodial parent/legal guardian of the beneficiary.
- This is the most common situation.
- One copy of ANNEX B should be completed by this individual.
- The PCG is not the custodial parent/legal guardian of the beneficiary.
- This situation is not likely to occur very often.
- The PCG must complete one copy of ANNEX B.
- The custodial parent/legal guardian must also complete a separate copy of ANNEX B.
Note: that if there are cousins in the RESP, a separate copy of the annex should be completed by each PCG and each custodial parent/legal guardian (as applicable) for their respective children.
Overview - ANNEX C
ANNEX C – APPLICATION: Saskatchewan Advantage Grant for Education Savings (SAGES) (SDE 0093‑C)
- ANNEX C is used by the subscriber to apply for SAGES for beneficiaries who are residents of Saskatchewan.
- For beneficiaries who already have an RESP and for whom a CESP application form has previously been completed (including the old versions), there is no need to complete the full CESP application form again. Subscribers can complete ANNEX C to apply for SAGES.
- Multiple beneficiaries named to the same RESP can be included directly on ANNEX C. However, if there is more than one beneficiary named to the RESP, all beneficiaries must be siblings for SAGES to be paid.
To better meet the needs of RESP providers, the new form is being provided in a fillable PDF format.
Please note that:
- the form cannot be altered;
- client options cannot be pre-selected; and
- all signatures must appear on hard copies.
Acessing the Form
The form is available on the Promoter's Page of the HRSDC Web site.
The new form is available for use immediately (June 5, 2013); however, the CESP is allowing RESP providers a six‑month period for implementation.
This new form will become mandatory on December 1, 2013.
The RESP Provider User Guide is currently being revised to reflect the new form. You will be notified when it is available.
Questions on this Information Bulletin should be directed to the Canada Education Savings Program by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling 1-888-276-3624.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: