Notice #875 – Impact of the 2019 tax filing extension on the Canada Learning Bond (CLB)
On this page
- Number: CESP/PCEE-2020/21-003-875
- Date: July 30, 2020
- Subject: Impact of the 2019 tax filing extension on the Canada Learning Bond (CLB)
To advise promoters of the impact of the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) extended tax filing and payment dates on the CLB.
The CRA announced that it is extending some of its 2019 tax filing deadlines due to COVID-19. As a result, some Canadians may file their taxes later than usual. In those cases, the CLB may be affected.
The Canada Child Benefit’s Adjusted Family Net Income (AFNI) determines eligibility for the CLB. In order to calculate the AFNI, the CRA must assess the tax return.
Impact on the CLB
There will be no impact on those who met the June 1 tax filing deadline. Impacts for those who file beyond this date are:
- ESDC will pay July to September 2020 CLB amounts based on 2018 tax returns
- ESDC will adjust the CLB amounts as required upon CRA’s assessment of the 2019 tax return
- if the CRA is unable to assess the 2019 returns by early September, this year’s CLB eligibility will cease. This may cause repayments
A short contingency period has always existed. Promoters may expect the number of reassessments to differ from previous years. ESDC anticipates that most of the reassessments will occur in the fall of 2020.
If you have any questions regarding this information bulletin, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at 1-888-276-3624. Our hours of operation are from 8 am to 5 pm, Eastern Time.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: