Mariette Kulin: Senior Meteorologist
“Just as the weather is constantly changing, so too is the work I perform. It is exciting to start work every day and see what new challenges arise.”
Mariette Kulin is a Senior Meteorologist – Training and Development with the Canadian Centre for Meteorological and Environmental Prediction. She has worked at Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) for 13 years and enjoys the fact that everyone she meets at work is incredibly passionate about their role and the service they provide to Canadians. Mariette finds motivation in the direct impact she has on her colleagues’ career development—from recruiting new meteorologists to contributing to the development of new learning initiatives.
During her years at ECCC, Mariette has seen the benefit of incorporating social media in the weather forecasting process. Meteorologists can now get immediate pictures and reports of severe weather in real-time from the public who use hashtags to report weather and provide photos of what is happening in communities from coast to coast to coast.
Another notable advancement that Mariette has seen during her career is the increased frequency and resolution of weather satellite imagery that allows meteorologists to access more information to incorporate into their forecasts.
One of her career highlights came during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics where she produced the aviation forecasts for southwestern British Columbia during the games.
Here are a few random facts about Mariette:
- What was your first job? Wading pool lifeguard for the City of Montreal.
- What is your favourite game or sport to watch and play? Hockey and slo-pitch.
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? A fresh out-of-the oven bagel with cream cheese.
- What is your favourite flavour of ice cream? Mint chocolate chip.
- If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have? Precognition.
- What form of public transportation do you prefer? (air, boat, train, bus, car, etc.) The train.
- Summer or winter? Summer.
- What's your favourite holiday? Heritage Day and the associated festival in Edmonton.
- What's your favourite fast food? Starbucks.
- What's your favourite movie? Groundhog Day, or anything with Bill Murray in it.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: