Nardia Ali: Manager, Compliance Promotion and Expert Support
“I am committed to nature and protecting the environment. My work on environmental initiatives provides an opportunity to make a positive difference.”
Meet Nardia Ali.
Based out of Toronto, Ontario, Nardia is the Manager of Compliance Promotion and Expert Support at Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC). As she begins her 31st year with ECCC, Nardia has amassed countless memories. She fondly remembers being out on the Great Lakes conducting environmental sampling, working with environmental enforcement officers as a subject-matter specialist, visiting industrial facilities to learn about and observe industrial procedures and technologies, and participating as a nuclear support expert in the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission licensing hearings. One standout memory was in 2017, when Nardia received the Nancy B. Cutler Citation of Excellence for outstanding achievement in fostering the contribution of women in Science and Technology.
In her current role, Nardia’s mandate also includes nuclear expert support. According to Nardia, one of the greatest advancements she has observed over her career is seeing nuclear energy and small modular nuclear reactors recognized as a part of ECCC’s recent climate change plan. For Nardia, this important work provides tremendous opportunities in the fight against climate change.
Nardia is a champion for the Environmental Protection Operation Directorate’s Expert Support team. Besides the added benefit of working with committed and enthusiastic colleagues, she stresses that their work is vital for essential environmental assessments and the clean-up of contaminated sites.
Nardia values the many opportunities her career has allowed for making positive differences on environmental initiatives, and helping her staff and others in achieving their professional goals.
“Providing on-the-job opportunities to young students and new hires injects new ideas, energy and enthusiasm to our important work.”
To learn more about Nardia’s work, visit the Environmental Effects Monitoring and the MOU between ECCC and the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission web sites.
Here are a few random facts about Nardia:
- What was your first job? My first job in Canada was as a Research Assistant with the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Iceland to see the unique natural features.
- What are your hobbies? Weight lifting and kayaking.
- How many pairs of shoes do you own? Twenty.
- If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have? Flight and super strength.
- What form of public transportation do you prefer (air, boat, train, bus, car, etc.)? Air, train or electric car.
- Summer or winter? Summer.
- What's your favorite holiday? Christmas.
- What's your favorite movie? Patch Adams with Robin Williams.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Small work contracts, visiting unique natural sights in parks in Canada and the US, and learning to rock climb with my son.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: