Canada-France Climate and Environment Partnership
- Subject category:
- Environmental Cooperation
- Type of agreement / instrument:
- Cooperative Framework
- Signed by Canada April 16, 2018
- Lead & partner departments:
- Global Affairs Canada
- Environment and Climate Change Canada, Transport Canada, Natural Resources Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Finance Canada
- For further information:
- Compendium edition:
- January 2020
- Reference #:
Plain language summary
The Canada-France Climate and Environment Partnership is a 2-year agreement signed in 2018 between the parties to support the fight against climate change by promoting and implementing the Paris Agreement. Under the partnership, the parties commit to cooperate in reducing greenhouse gas emissions in international ground, sea and air transport, promoting energy efficiency, pricing carbon emissions, developing green finance initiatives, strengthening collaboration in climate change science, helping developing countries increase energy efficiency, and advancing nature-based approached for climate change mitigation.
The objective of this Partnership is to promote and support the quick implementation of the Paris Agreement at home and abroad.
Canada and France commit to nine cooperation actions for 2018-2019:
- Reducing international ground, sea and air transport emissions
- Promoting energy efficiency
- Measuring and pricing carbon emissions
- Promoting sustainable development issues in international bodies
- Including climate in development assistance actions
- Reducing emissions in the forestry and agriculture sectors
- Strengthening collaboration on climate change science as well as research and innovation
- Developing green finance and budgeting
- Advancing ecosystem and nature-based approaches for climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies
Through the nine cooperation actions enumerated above, Canada and France expect to support domestic and international action to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement.
This partnership is important to Canada because it supports our commitment to the Paris Agreement and climate action. In addition, the partnership also increases Canada’s cooperation with France, an important ally on environment and climate change.
Canada is implementing this agreement by cooperating with France within multilateral fora to achieve mutual objectives on climate change and the environment; engaging with counterparts in France to share information and increase dialogue on areas of mutual interest; and cooperating with France on initiatives that support the nine cooperation actions enumerated above.
Results / progress
Canada and France are continuing to work together on multiple initiatives under the nine cooperative actions of this partnership.
For example, on October 22 to 25, 2018, Canada held with France a training workshop on climate negotiations for 15 francophone negotiators from the sub-Saharan region in Dakar, Senegal. The workshop was offered in French for the first time, and aimed to help participants develop the personal skills, competencies, and knowledge they need for international negotiations, decision-making, and the development of climate change policies. A second workshop featuring 24 Francophone women climate negotiators from 16 countries was held in Kigali, Rwanda in October 2019.
On May 17, 2019, Canada co-organizes a seminar on carbon pricing with France for European and Canadian stakeholders to exchange experiences on carbon pricing approaches. On November 28, 2019, Canada hosted a Sustainable Finance Roundtable on the transition to a low carbon economy, financial risk disclosure, and innovative sustainable finance for biodiversity.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: