Canadian Plastics Innovation Challenges – Environment and Climate Change Canada Phase 1 recipients

Backgrounder

Through the Innovative Solutions Canada Challenge Stream, the Government of Canada invites small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to propose innovations that address specific government challenges. In Phase 1, successful applicants may receive up to $150,000 to develop a proof of concept. If accepted into Phase 2, SMEs could receive an additional $1 million to develop a working prototype. By funding the development of new innovations, the Government helps SMEs accelerate their journey to market and helps to create good middle-class jobs across Canada.

Challenge category: Sustainable alternatives to plastic packaging

Single-use plastic products and packaging are a priority area for action as they account for almost half of the plastic waste generated in Canada every year. For example, only 15% of plastic packaging was recycled in Canada in 2016, with the rest ending up in landfills, incinerators, or the environment.

Company Location Technology Description Funding
Magemi Mining Inc. North York, Ontario

Create a graphene-reinforced recycled paper with high-performance properties that is a sustainable alternative to plastic packaging, like plastic grocery bags, and can be used to produce strong and reusable paper products.

$149,395

Challenge category: Textiles and microfibers

Canada has a large textile manufacturing industry, accounting for $1.4 billion of Canada’s Gross Domestic Product in 2015. There is currently very limited collection and recycling of textiles in Canada and approximately 93% of plastic textile waste ends up in landfills while the remaining 7% is incinerated or otherwise converted into energy.

Company Location Technology Description Funding
Met-Tech Inc. Burlington, Ontario

Develop a low-cost textile recycling process for chemical sorting, separation and removal of dyes from waste textiles. This process will enable value recovery from polyester and cotton blends, including the creation of high-value biochemical products that can then be used to make other plastic products made from recycled materials, such as biodegradable plastic packaging.

$150,000
CACITH Inc. (Tengiva) Montréal, Quebec

Create a Recyclers’ Network to identify, trace, and quantify textile waste. The Network would also bring together stakeholders on one centralized platform to facilitate material collection, exchange, and distribution, allowing otherwise waste materials to find new markets.

$146,817
Singular Solutions Inc. North York, Ontario

Develop a biosustainable additive that will cause plastic textile waste to biodegrade in long-term composting landfill facilities, creating topsoil-quality humus without generating harmful microplastics.

$150,000
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: