Air quality science experts
Environment Canada has one of the largest group of atmospheric and emissions research and measurement specialists in Canada, largely represented by the Air Quality Research Division within the Atmospheric Science and Technology Directorate. These internationally-recognized science and technology experts make a significant contribution to the understanding of a variety of air pollution problems, in Canada and abroad. The research scientists, engineers, chemists, and technologists measure a variety of organic and inorganic compounds in diverse sample matrices, principally from ambient air as well as air pollution sources.
In addition, the research projects undertaken endeavour to understand the benefits of cleaner technologies or approaches to minimize the pollution caused by human activities.
These experts are recipients of numerous prestigious awards for scientific achievement; including, for example, the Royal Society of Canada. Some are pioneers in the world in identifying previously unknown components of air particulates and in developing improved methods for analyzing and characterizing various toxic substances. Many of the scientists and engineers have designed or developed innovative tools and methods to improve their research capabilities and some hold patents for these tools and/or methods.
The Air Quality Research Division also includes experts in:
- air quality forecasting and prediction modelling
- identifying and understanding sources, trends, pathways and fate of airborne substances
- measuring ambient air quality contaminants
- managing atmospheric monitoring networks
- undertaking air toxics research
- conducting research on the sources and fate of toxic compounds susceptible to long-range atmospheric transport
- developing sampling and analytical regulatory reference methods
- sampling and measuring air pollutants from mobile sources
- undertaking research on alternative fuels and cleaner technologies
- undertaking remote sensing
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: