Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network resources
Find all the resources that you need to conduct a Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network (CABIN) study. Only resources developed by ECCC for CABIN participants are featured here. For resources developed by other partners of the network, refer to Other relevant resources.
Field techniques video
See how to conduct stream sampling of benthic invertebrates using the CABIN protocol.
- CABIN Field Manual for Wadeable Streams, 2012: This manual describes the nationally standardized sampling protocol for benthic macroinvertebrate samples and associated habitat information for wadeable streams.
- CABIN Wetland Macroinvertebrate Protocol, 2019: This protocol provides information on a standardized protocol for sampling macroinvertebrates in wetland habitats.
- CABIN Laboratory Methods: Processing, Taxonomy, and Quality Control of Benthic Macroinvertebrate Samples, 2020: This manual provides the quality assurance and quality control requirements for processing and identifying nationally standardized benthic macroinvertebrate CABIN samples.
- CABIN Field Sheet for wadeable streams: Standard field sheet for the CABIN protocol for wadeable streams.
- CABIN Field Sheet for wetlands: Standard field sheet for the CABIN protocol for wetland macroinvertebrates. Contact us [f.RCBA-CABIN.firstname.lastname@example.org].
- Field Sampling Equipment Checklist: This checklist provides guidance on all the equipment needed to conduct CABIN sampling.
- CABIN Study Planning Checklist (XLS; 53 kB) (PDF; 119 kB): This checklist provides guidance with all aspects of conducting a CABIN study from the initial study questions to using the CABIN database for analysis and reporting. This checklist is designed for Project Managers.
- CABIN Field Protocol Checklist (XLS; 59 kB) (PDF; 190 kB): This checklist is a helpful guide for field samplers of all the tasks and considerations during a CABIN sampling event.
- CABIN Data QA/QC Checklist (XLS; 55 kB) (PDF; 179 kB): This checklist provides suggestions of steps to take to ensure consistent and quality data from the planning stage to validating data entry.
Quick reference guides and handbooks
The HTML and downloadable versions of the following documents will be available soon. If you wish to receive a copy of a PDF sooner, please contact us at f.RCBA-CABIN.email@example.com.
- Taxonomic Groups Reference Guide (XLS; 705 kB) (PDF; 406 kB): This quick reference guide provides major characteristics of the most common taxonomic groups found in CABIN samples.
- Benthic Metrics Reference Guide: This quick reference guide provides a summary of different macroinvertebrate metrics used by the CABIN analytical tool to contribute to the assessment of freshwater ecosystem health.
- CABIN Database Handbook: This handbook contains step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to view, enter, edit, and export data in the CABIN database.
- CABIN Analytical Tools Handbook. This handbook contains step-by-step instructions and helpful tips on to use the CABIN analytical and reporting tools with data stored in the CABIN database.
- Applying GIS and Geospatial Data to Reference Condition Approach Stream Assessments: Guidance for Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network Participants: This guidance document provides participants of the CABIN program with a broad overview of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and geospatial data and how they can be applied to stream assessments in CABIN.
- Date modified: