The Cross-border Movement of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations
Attention! The Cross-border Movement of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Materials Regulations came into force on October 31, 2021.
The Cross-border Movement of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations (XBR) consolidates and replaces 3 regulations which deal with the control of transboundary movement of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable material under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999.
The regulations being repealed and replaced are:
- the Export and Import of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations (EIHWHRMR)
- the PCB Waste Export Regulations, 1996
- the Interprovincial Movement of Hazardous Waste Regulations
The XBR updates Canada’s regulatory requirements to account for the changes in the classifications of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable materials to provide clarity to the regulated community, and to ensure that shipments of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable materials crossing Canada’s international, inter-provincial, and territorial borders, reach their intended destination thus reducing the risks of release of contaminants to the environment.
The implementation of the XBR contributes to Canada’s ability to meet its obligations under the following instruments:
- the United Nations Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal (Basel Convention)
- the Decision OECD/LEGAL/0266 of the Council of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation (OECD) Concerning the Control of Transboundary Movements of Wastes Destined for Recovery Operations (OECD Decision)
- the Canada-USA Agreement on the Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes (Canada-US Agreement)
- the Canada-USA Arrangement concerning the Environmentally Sound Management of Non-Hazardous Waste and Scrap Subject to Transboundary Movement
Permits issued under the EIHWHRMR continue to be valid until their expiration date.
If you require further assistance or have any questions, please contact ECCC
Waste Reduction and Management Division
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Place Vincent Massey
351 St-Joseph Blvd 9th Floor
Gatineau QC J8Y 3Z5
Notification team email: email@example.com
Movement team email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: