Outcomes of 17th Conference of the Parties
Date Posted: 2016-11-22
Outcomes of CoP17
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) held its 17th Conference of the Parties (CoP17) in September 24 - October 4, 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The Canadian delegation was led by Environment and Climate Change Canada and included representatives from Environment and Climate Change Canada, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Natural Resources Canada, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada and Nunavut Tunngavit Inc.
The Canadian positions on species proposals and working documents were developed through consultation with government agencies and stakeholders. Species proposals were carefully reviewed and the information was weighed against the CITES listing criteria.
Canadian summaries of the final decisions by CoP:
The cites secretariat also provides information on the final decisions by CoP:
Cop17 documents submitted by Canada:
- Delete Bison bison athabascae from Appendix II [PDF, 442 KB]
- Transfer Puma concolor coryi and Puma concolor couguar from Appendix I to Appendix II [PDF, 379 KB]
- Transfer Falco peregrinus from Appendix I to Appendix II [PDF, 560 KB]
- Supplementary information on peregrine falcon [PDF, 312 KB]
- Canadian principles for CITES [PDF, 117 KB]
- CITES Non-detriment findings. Guidance for perennial plants [submitted by Germany, Canada, China, Georgia and Peru] [PDF, 4.09 MB]
- Guidance for the preparation and review of CITES proposals that involve projection of species trends in the future (submitted by Canada on the behalf of TRAFFIC) [PDF, 406 KB]
- Canada's tentative negotiating position on the CoP17 Proposals to amend the CITES Appendices (September 2016)
- Results of the Public Consultation Meeting - CoP17 (July 2016)
- Canada's Public Consultation for the 17th meeting of the CITES Conference of the Parties - CoP17 (May 2016)
- Canadian Proposals that that have been submitted to the 17th meeting of the CITES Conference of the Parties - CoP17 (May 2016)
- Results from the Call for Proposals, and other Canadian Proposals that are being considered for the 17th meeting of the CITES Conference of the Parties - CoP17 (April 2016)
- Notice of Public Consultation and Call for Proposals for the 17th Meeting of the CITES Conference of the Parties (January 2016)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: