Export permit for goldenseal or american ginseng: information sheet
This application form is to be used for the export of American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) which was not grown in Ontario or Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis). This is also the application form to use for a mixed supply of American Ginseng grown in different Canadian provinces. There is a form specifically made for Ontario-grown ginseng.
- Complete all applicable sections accurately and legibly. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted. Attach additional sheets if necessary.
- Ensure that copies of supporting documentation are clear and legible.
- The application must be signed in order to be processed. Electronic signatures are not accepted.
- Replacement Permit - If is a request for replacement of a previously issued permit, the original copies of the previous permit must be returned before the new permit can be issued. A clear explanation must be provided for the request for replacement.
- On the application form indicate -No Change- in those sections where the information has not changed from the previous application.
- For the permits to be sent by courier, a courier company and account number must be provided.
- Allow up to 40 calendar days for the processing of a complete application. An application is deemed complete once all required documents have been submitted to the permitting office.
Submitting the application
- Send your completed application to the CITES Permit Office.
- By mail: CITES Permit office, Environment Canada, 351 St Joseph blvd, Gatineau, QC, K1A 0H3
- By fax: 1 855 869 8671
- By email: email@example.com
- Should you have any questions, contact us at: 1 855 869 8670, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The import and export of plants and their parts and derivatives is also controlled by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). To ensure that this export complies with their requirements, please contact CFIA toll free at: 1 800 442 2342.
Part 1: Contact Information
1.1 Application Information
- The applicant is the Canadian company or resident that currently possesses the ginseng and to whom the permit will be issued. This is the name which will appear on the permit.
- The individual submitting the application form must sign the application. An individual other than the owner (e.g. the broker) may submit the application. However, please note that the information for the applicant must always be provided in Section 1.1.
- Unless otherwise specified in the area provided, the certificate will be sent to the applicant’s address as listed on the form.
1.2 Broker Information
- If using a shipping company to export the ginseng or the goldenseal, provide the broker’s information in Section 1.2.
- If no broker or carrier is used, this section may be left empty.
1.3 Consignee Information
- The consignee is the company or individual in the destination country that will be receiving the ginseng or goldenseal.
- If requesting a permit for a single shipment, provide the information for the recipient of the shipment. If the request is for multiple shipments, leave Section 1.3. blank.
Part 2: Description of Specimens, Origin & Legality, and Supporting Documents
2.1 Description of Specimens
- Indicate whether this application is for Goldenseal or Ginseng, then specify all the formats of the plants that will be exported, in order for all required specimen types to be identified on the CITES permit.
- Indicate if the goldenseal or ginseng is to be resold in the country of import.
- Specify the maximum quantity of goldenseal or ginseng which will be shipped with 1 permit.
- If applicable, indicate the number of shipments planned during the validity period of the permit (6 months). If this quantity is not filled out, only 1 permit will be issued.
2.2 Origin and Legality
- Each supplier of the goldenseal or ginseng must complete the Propagation Questionnaire, giving their full contact information and methods of propagating the plants.
2.3 Supporting documents
- Submit all applicable supporting documentation showing proof of acquisition of the plant material.
- Each supplier of goldenseal or ginseng must have completed the propagation questionnaire, which is to be submitted with the application form.
Part 3: Current location of the Specimen(s)
- Please indicate where the specimens are currently located.
- If the specimen(s) are currently detained by customs officials in Canada or in another country, please provide information on this detention. The customs file information and copies of any documents pertinent to the detention should be sent along with the application.
Annex A: Propagation Questionnaire
- Contact each growers and/or suppliers which is providing the plant material to fill in Annex A, which is found on page 3 of the application form.
- Each of the growers and/or suppliers which are providing the plant material must complete the information in Annex A and provide signatures where indicated. Photocopy Annex A as many time as required to provide a copy for each grower and/or supplier.
- All applicable boxes must be checked. The propagation environment as well as the techniques used to grow the ginseng/goldenseal must be described.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: