Environmental emergency regulations: filing a notice
You must choose the appropriate type of notice from the three below. Once the online notice is complete, a printable form will be generated which must be signed by the appropriate authority and mailed to the address provided at the top of the form. Keep a copy of this form for your records.
If you need to update your contact information or make a change to an existing notice, you do not need to create a new identification or submit a new notice. Please contact your regional compliance promotion officer for assistance.
Notice of identification of substance and place
This notice must be submitted:
- within 90 days of the regulations coming into force (December 18, 2011) or
- 90 days after a substance has reached or has exceeded the prescribed quantity.
It must include:
- the facilities to which the regulations apply
- the location of the facility
- the applicable substance/substances
- the maximum amounts used or stored at any time during a year.
Notice of preparation
- within six months of the regulations coming into force (December 18, 2011) or
- six months after a substance has reached or has exceeded the prescribed quantity.
Notice of implementation and testing
This notice indicates that the environmental emergency plan required under the regulations has been tested and implemented.
It must be submitted:
- within one year of the regulations coming into force (December 18, 2011) or
- one year after a substance has reached or has exceeded the prescribed quantity.
An environmental emergency plan is considered “implemented” when it is operational whereby the person submitting the notice can expect to successfully deal with all aspects of an environmental emergency.
- prevention, preparedness, response and recovery documentation
- access to the identified response resources, training and sufficient testing to validate the plan
- provisions for annual testing and review of the plan
- provisions for record keeping of the results.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: