Policy framework to implement the Environmental Violations Administrative Monetary Penalties Act: chapter 2
2.0 Goals of the policy framework document
This Policy Framework document was initially published online in conjunction with the pre-publication in Part I of the Canada Gazette (CG) of the AMPs Regulations. This final version is published in conjunction with the CGII publication of the AMPs Regulations. The goal of this document is to outline the basic policy framework of the AMP regime at Environment and Climate Change Canada (hereinafter referred to as ECCC), to respond to comments and questions on the implementation and administration of AMPs received during ECCC’s 2011 public consultation on AMPs, and to provide clarifications stemming from questions from the public during the 60-day CGI comment period.
For greater clarity throughout this document:
- The term AMP is used to refer both to the monetary penalty itself, and to the legal document used to issue the penalty, the “Notice of Violation.” Similarly, the term “issuing an Administrative Monetary Penalty” (or “issuing an AMP”) is used synonymously with the term “issuing a Notice of Violation (NOV).”
- “Other person, ship or vessel” includes corporations, government departments, indigenous government and Bands/Band Councils.
- For the purposes of this document, “persons” also means individuals and vice versa.
- For the purposes of this document, “violation” also means contravention and vice versa.
- Please refer to section 2 of EVAMPA for the definition of “Environmental Act.”Footnote 1
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: