Toxic substances list: tetrachlorobenzenes
Tetrachlorobenzenes (TeCBs) are not currently produced or used in their pure form in Canada, and there is currently no domestic commercial demand for TeCBs. Formerly, they could be found in dielectric fluids where they were used to top up polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) transformers and in dyestuff carriers. These applications have either been discontinued (dye carriers) or are being phased out (dielectric fluids). A possible source of release may include dielectric PCB material still in use. TeCBs may be generated when organic compounds are burned or exposed to a large source of energy in the presence of a chlorine source. Through this mechanism, they may be formed and released to the environment as a result of waste incineration and barrel burning of household waste.
CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service) registry numbers: 12408-10-5, 84713-12-2, 634-90-2, 634-66-2 and 95-94-3
For more information on this substance, please visit the Chemical Substances website.
- Priority Substance List Assessment Report
- Order Adding Toxic Substances to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- CEPA 1999 Schedule 1 - List of Toxic Substances - This substance has been added to the List of Toxic Substances. It is entering or may enter the environment in a quantity or concentration or under conditions that:
a) have or may have an immediate or long-term harmful effect on the environment or its biological diversity.
- Virtual elimination of the substance (Track 1) under the Toxic Substances Management Policy
This substance is entering the environment from the following source(s):
Risk Management Strategy
Click on the following link to view strategies and actions recommended to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Tool(s)
Tool(s) developed to manage risks associated with the substance:
Risk Management Supporting Activities
Activities supporting the development or implementation of the risk management tool(s):
Forms related to the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2012:
Consultation (past and present) on the substance:
- Proposed Regulations Amending the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2005 (2-Methoxyethanol, Pentachlorobenzene and Tetrachlorobenzenes)
- Response to Comments Resulting from the Public Consultation on the Proposed Regulations Amending the Prohibition of Certain Toxic Substances Regulations, 2005 (2-Methoxyethanol, Pentachlorobenzene and Tetrachlorobenzenes)
- Proposed Risk Management Strategy for Pentachlorobezene and Tetrachlorobenzenes (archived consultation document)
- Publication of results of investigations and recommendations for the substances 1,2 Dichlorobenzene, 1,4 Dichlorobenzene, Trichlorobenzenes, Tetrachlorobenzenes and Pentachlorobenzene (Comment period: 2002-09-28 - 2002-11-27)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: