Management of toxic substances
This section provides information on toxic substances managed under The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999) and related policies and plans, including The Chemicals Management Plan (CMP) and the Toxic Substances Management Policy.
CEPA 1999 is an Act respecting pollution prevention and the protection of the environment and human health in order to contribute to sustainable development. It provides the Government of Canada with instruments to protect the environment and/or human health, establishes strict timelines for managing substances found toxic under the Act, and requires the virtual elimination of releases to the environment from substances found toxic under the Act that are bioaccumulative, persistent and anthropogenic.
The Government of Canada's Chemicals Management Plan (CMP) will improve the degree of protection against hazardous chemicals. It includes a number of new, proactive measures to make sure that chemical substances are managed properly. This plan will also improve the conditions for business in Canada by ensuring a level playing field and a predictable, science-based regulatory regime and builds on Canada's position as a global leader in the safe management of chemical substances and products.
The Government of Canada's Toxic Substances Management Policy puts forward a precautionary and preventive approach to deal with substances that enter the environment and could harm the environment and/or human health. It provides a framework for making science-based decisions on the effective management of toxic substances. Under this process, Environment Canada and Health Canada prepare a Risk Management Strategy which outlines the proposed approach for reducing risks to human health or the environment posed by a substance found toxic under the Act.
- List of toxic substances managed under Canadian Environmental Protection Act
- Toxic substances management policy
- Toxic substances management process
- Management of toxic substances: Publications
- Solvent Degreasing Regulations
- Sources of toxic substances
- Chromium electroplating, anodizing and reverse etching regulations: Frequently asked questions
- Chemical Substances Web site
- Chemicals Management Plan
- Siloxane D5 Board of Review
- Chemicals Management Plan risk management actions table
- Date modified: