Canadian Pain Task Force Meeting: December 12, 2019
14:30 – 16:30 EST
- Provide updates from Health Canada Secretariat
- Debrief on engagement activities completed to date
- Review plans and obtain input from the Advisory Panel on upcoming engagement activities
- Receive updates from Advisory Panel members related to Task Force mandate
Task Force: Fiona Campbell, Maria Hudspith, Melissa Anderson, Manon Choinière,
Hani El-Gabalawy, Jacques Laliberté, Jaris Swidrovich, and Linda Wilhelm
External Advisory Panel: Norm Buckley, Christine Chambers, Chloe Crosschild, Anshu Gupta, Jennifer Harris, Gilles Lavigne, David Lussier, Justina Marianayagam, Laura Murphy, Steven Passmore, Dean Penney, John Pereira, Patricia Poulin, Kathy Reid, Michael Sangster, Colleen Varcoe, Gerald Zamponi
Secretariat: Andrea Currie, Andrew Taylor, Megan Wyszynski, Baies Haqani, Pamela Rizzo
Welcome and Roll Call
- Andrea Currie of the Secretariat welcomed everyone and provided an overview of the meeting objectives and agenda.
- Members were invited to introduce themselves during roll call for the benefit of all, but particularly for new members of the External Advisory Panel.
Affiliations and interests
- No significant updates to Task Force members' affiliations or interests.
Health Canada Secretariat updates
- The Secretariat shared updates to the Task Force website including posting of meeting minutes, new biographies, and new affiliations and interests. Members were asked to review and provide input.
- The Secretariat provided an update related to staffing and resources as well as the appointment of Dr. Stephen Lucas as Deputy Minister and Patty Hadju as Minister of Health.
- The Secretariat provided an update regarding a Health Canada media analysis project and related lexicon. Members commented on the lexicon and linkages between use of opioids and chronic pain management.
- The Secretariat provided an update on the work plan and planning for the online consultation and remaining regional workshops.
Themed Discussion and Focused Dialogue Updates
- Select Task Force and Panel members summarized the outcomes of the workshop at the Issues of Substance Conference, hosted by the Canadian Centre for Substance Use and Addictions (CCSA), as well as similar engagement at the Family Medicine Forum conference, a meeting of the Canadian Chiropractors Association, and the Children's Healthcare Canada annual conference.
- The Secretariat requested Task Force and Panel members to identify additional engaging activities that may have been completed by members, which are relevant to the Task Force's mandate, in addition to potential future engagement opportunities.
Debrief of Engagement Activities to Date
- The Secretariat debriefed members on the completed engagement activities to date, noting:
- A summary of what was heard so far.
- Workshop evaluations and feedback of participants.
- A discussion of lessons learned and adjustments to be made moving forward with upcoming workshops.
- The Task Force and Panel members spoke to their reflections of the engagement activities they attended thus far, noting positive feedback and potential areas for improvement.
Review of Upcoming Engagement Activities
- The Secretariat provided updates on the current status of the planning and organization of the Quebec regional workshop, the Atlantic regional workshop, the Manitoba taking circle and regional workshop, and the Territories regional workshop.
- Members reviewed and provided input regarding plans for upcoming engagement activities, including the inclusion of a diverse stakeholder base, and the importance of holding a focused workshop or discussion on trauma, mental health, substance use, and pain.
- The Secretariat discussed upcoming focused dialogues including:
- An Ontario Project ECHO session (January 2020).
- A focused discussion at the Canadian Arthritis Research Conference / Canadian Rheumatology Association Scientific Meeting & Arthritis Health Professions Association Meeting (February 2020).
- A presentation at the Canadian Pain Care Forum (January 2020).
- A workshop with the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Pain Management Advisory Council (February 2020).
- The Secretariat provided a brief overview of the online consultation, including the development process thus far and critical path moving forward. Task Force and Panel members asked clarifying questions and provided feedback related to the content of the online consultation.
- External Advisory Panel members were invited to provide any relevant updates and/or final comments or advice.
- The Secretariat delivered closing remarks and noted action items for the next meeting.
- The Secretariat will begin planning for the next in-person meeting of the Task Force and External Advisory Panel in Ottawa in April 2020.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: