Government of Canada to discontinue conditional registrations for pesticides
January 19, 2016 – Ottawa – Health Canada
Today, the Honourable Jane Philpott, Minister of Health, announced that Health Canada intends to stop granting new conditional registrations of pesticides as of June 1, 2016. This is an important step in improving the openness and transparency of Canada’s pesticide regulatory system.
Pesticides are registered in Canada only after a rigorous scientific evaluation determines no harm to human health, future generations or the environment will result from exposure or use. Conditional registrations have been granted on occasion when the scientific review determines that the risks of a pesticide are acceptable but that additional confirmatory information is required. Unlike full registrations, conditional registrations do not undergo a public consultation until the registration is amended, renewed or converted to a full registration.
Moving away from conditional registrations will provide reassurance that all pesticide registration decisions are made with the same high level of scientific and public scrutiny.
A Notice of Intent has been posted on Health Canada’s website and is open for comment for 60 days until March 19, 2016. The final decision will be published following the consultation once all comments have been considered.
- Approximately 1% of all pesticides in Canada are conditionally registered.
- Registered pesticides regularly undergo a re-evaluation to ensure that they continue to meet modern standards for human health and environmental protection and provide value.
- Addressing conditional registrations has been recommended previously by the House of Commons Standing Committee on Health, the Standing Committee on Agriculture and Forestry, and the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development.
“The Government of Canada is committed to making regulatory decisions that are open and transparent, which is why we have decided to discontinue the use of conditional registrations.”
Minister of Health
- Notice of Intent Regarding Conditional Registrations under the Pest Control Products Regulations
- Protecting Your Health and the Environment
- 30 -
Office of the Honourable Jane Philpott
Federal Minister of Health
Health Canada news releases are available on the Internet at: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/media
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: