Notice to interested parties – Consultation on potential amendments to the Radiation Emitting Devices Regulations (Laser Devices): Closed Consultation
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from June 30, 2021 to August 30, 2021.
The Environmental and Radiation Health Sciences Directorate of Health Canada invited comments on proposed changes to the requirements for lasers outlined in Schedule II of the Radiation Emitting Device Regulations (REDR). These proposed changes aim to protect Canadians from laser radiation hazards, align Canadian requirements with international standards, and address a broader range of laser devices.
Who was the focus of this consultation
The consultation was focused on:
- manufacturers, importers, and retailers of laser devices, and related trade associations
- test/certification labs
- standards development organizations
- groups or individuals (e.g., organizations, professionals) that use laser devices
- all interested Canadians
Goals of the consultation
The purpose of the consultation was to solicit feedback from stakeholders in regards to proposed changes to the Radiation Emitting Devices Regulations which are aimed at enhancing the safety of laser devices that are imported, sold, leased or advertised in Canada.
Key questions for discussion
Input was sought for all changes proposed.
Specific areas where input was required included:
- introduction of new broad laser requirements aligned with sections of the International Electrotechnical Commission's Standard ("IEC 60825-1, Safety of Laser Products - Part 1: Equipment classification and requirements, Ed. 3.0, 2014")
- requirements for minimum design features, appropriate warning labels and accompanying safety information for specific laser classes/hazard levels
- specific Canadian deviations from the standard under consideration
- class limits for specific types of laser devices
- potential impacts of removing the existing requirements for Laser Scanners (Part VII) and Demonstration Lasers (Part VIII)
- exemption of certain devices from the requirements of IEC 60825-1 "Safety of Laser Products"
The input that was gathered through this process will be used to inform next steps in the project.
Environmental and Radiation Health Sciences Directorate
Please indicate "Laser Consultation" in the email subject line.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: