Consultation on the Proposed Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made Under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (Surface Coating Materials)
Current status: Open
Open for comment from April 24, 2021 to July 3, 2021.
You are invited to provide feedback on the proposed Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made Under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (Surface Coating Materials) published in Canada Gazette, Part I on April 24, 2021.
The proposed amendments intend to:
- increase health protection to Canadians, particularly children, by further reducing the potential for exposure to lead, mercury and certain other harmful elements in surface coating materials applied to certain consumer products;
- align and clarify the requirements for surface coating materials in the Surface Coatings Materials Regulations under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA);
- align and clarify the requirements for applied surface coating materials across regulations under the CCPSA;
- reduce regulatory costs to industry by simplifying testing and removing requirements that do not benefit health.
How to participate
To submit comments on the proposed Regulations Amending Certain Regulations Made Under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (Surface Coating Materials) please use the online portal.
The Government of Canada is moving to the use of an online portal for stakeholders to provide comments on proposed Regulations. The above-proposed Regulations are part of a pilot project to help refine the portal and its functionality. As a result, comments on the proposal should be entered online via the link above. All submitted comments will be posted verbatim on Canada Gazette, Part I after the consultation period is closed.
Comments submitted via email or mail will also be accepted and should cite the title of the proposed regulations, the date of Canada Gazette, Part I publication (April 24, 2021), and be addressed to the person in the Contact Us section.
This consultation will be open for comment for 70 days, from April 24, 2021 to July 3, 2021.
Who is the focus of this consultation
- Industry stakeholders and professional associations
- Testing Laboratories
- Consumer and non-governmental advocacy groups
- General Canadian public
- Indigenous peoples
- Canada Consumer Product Safety Act
- Surface Coating Materials Regulations
- Carriages and Strollers Regulations
- Cribs, Cradles and Bassinets Regulations
- Expansion Gates and Expandable Enclosures Regulations
- Playpens Regulations
- Toys Regulations
Paul Chowhan, Manager
Risk Management Strategies Division
Consumer and Hazardous Products Safety Directorate
Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety Branch
Department of Health
269 Laurier Avenue West, Mail Stop: 4908B
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K9
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: