Consultation: Proposed vaping products' flavour regulations and order
Current status: Open
This consultation opens for comments on June 19, 2021 and closes to new input on September 2, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST).
This consultation is seeking comments on the proposed Order Amending Schedules 2 and 3 to the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (Flavours) and the proposed Standards for Vaping Products' Sensory Attributes Regulations.
Health Canada has identified the availability of a variety of desirable flavours in vaping products, despite the current vaping restrictions, as one of the factors contributing to the rapid rise in youth vaping in Canada. Health Canada is concerned that young persons are being exposed to vaping product-related harms, including those related to nicotine exposure, which can result in an addiction to nicotine and long-term use of tobacco products.
We are seeking comments from:
- health partners
- the general public
- interested members of the industry
- people who vape, use tobacco products, or use both vaping and tobacco products
The purpose of this consultation is to gather feedback on the regulatory proposal that would further restrict flavoured vaping products.
The proposed regulations and order would implement a complementary, three-pronged approach to:
- further restrict the promotion of flavours in vaping products to tobacco, mint, menthol or a combination of mint and menthol (mint/menthol) flavours, including through indications or illustrations on packaging
- prohibit all sugars and sweeteners as well as most flavouring ingredients, with limited exceptions to impart tobacco or mint/menthol flavours
- prescribe sensory attributes standards to prevent a sensory perception other than one that is typical of tobacco or mint/menthol
When and where
You have 75 days to send us your comments.The consultation period closes on September 2, 2021.
You can find the proposed Regulations and Order, and the associated Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement in Canada Gazette, Part I.
How to participate
Manager, Vaping Products Regulations Division
Tobacco Products Regulatory Office
Tobacco Control Directorate
CSCB, Health Canada
0301A-150 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
- Date modified: