Curried vegetable lentil stew
Fill your kitchen with the fragrant aroma of Indian spices and dig into this hearty vegetarian stew.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) minced fresh ginger or 5 mL (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) mild curry paste or powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) garam masala
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 625 mL (2 1/2 cups) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 yellow fleshed potatoes, diced (about 300 g/10 oz total)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 180 g (6 oz) fresh or frozen green beans, chopped
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) sodium reduced lentils, drained and rinsed
- In a large shallow saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, half of the cilantro, ginger, curry paste and garam masala for about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour until absorbed. Slowly pour in broth, stirring until combined.
- Add potatoes, pepper, beans and lentils and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro before serving.
- Look for garam masala in the spice aisle of the grocery store. It is also available in sections of bulk, health or natural food stores.
- Like it spicy? Use a medium or hot curry paste or powder.
- Once you've made this recipe, play around with different vegetable combinations.
- Try some sweet potatoes or squash instead of potatoes, or replace the green beans with some baby spinach.
Categories: vegetarian, freezer-friendly
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation..
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: