Egg and veggie scramble
Loaded with veggies, this egg scramble comes together quickly and easily to make a tasty meal.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 6 eggs
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) skim milk
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) ground black pepper
- 5 mL (1 tsp) canola oil
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) mixed frozen or fresh vegetables (such as onions, bell peppers, mushrooms)
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and ground black pepper with a fork. Set aside.
- Add oil to a medium 25 cm (10 inch) non-stick skillet and heat on medium heat. Add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring often until they are tender. If the vegetables release too much liquid, try increasing the heat to high for the last minute until the moisture evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Continue cooking, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until the eggs start to set. Use a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon and gently push the egg and vegetable mixture towards the centre of the pan and fold over, forming large pieces.
- Continue gently folding the eggs until they are cooked through, about 3-5 minutes more. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Serve with whole grain toast or roll this scramble up into a small whole grain tortilla to take this breakfast on-the-go.
- This recipe is perfect for using up produce that is starting to wilt in your fridge. Chop up any vegetables you have on hand such as tomatoes, spinach, or broccoli to use them before they spoil.
- Like some extra spice? Add a dollop of salsa on top of these cooked eggs or sprinkle ¼ tsp of paprika and ¼ tsp cayenne instead of the black pepper while cooking.
Categories: vegetarian, kid-friendly, 30 minutes or less
Learn about food safety
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: