Bisphenol A in Batch 2 of the Challenge
Bisphenol A (commonly known as BPA) is an industrial chemical used to make a hard, clear plastic known as polycarbonate, which is used in some products available to consumers. BPA is also found in epoxy resins, which act as a protective lining on the inside of metal-based food and beverage cans.
Canada took action on BPA by banning the manufacture, importation, sale or advertising of polycarbonate baby bottles that contain BPA. This action is one of several taken under the Chemicals Management Plan to protect the health of Canadians and the environment.
On this page
Measuring effectiveness of risk management
In December 2018, the Bisphenol A Risk Management Approach: Performance Evaluation for BPA-Health Component was published.
This document outlines and measures the progress made towards meeting the human health risk management objective of minimizing infant exposure to BPA to the greatest extent practicable. The performance evaluation for BPA-ecological component is underway and will be published at a later date. Please refer to the two year rolling risk management activities and consultations schedule for information on timing, as it becomes available.
Risk management action milestones
The risk management action milestones table outlines the status of risk management actions that were proposed for BPA when the risk management approach was published. BPA met the criteria of section 64 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999.
- Bisphenol A (for consumers)
- Food and nutrition - BPA
- Federal Environmental Quality Guidelines for Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Notice Requiring the Preparation and Implementation of Pollution Prevention Plans in Respect of Bisphenol A in industrial effluents (April 14, 2012)
- Canada Gazette, Part II: Final Order Adding Bisphenol A, a Substance in Batch 2 of the Challenge, to Schedule 1 to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (October 13, 2010)
- Notices of Objection (and Request for Board of Review for Bisphenol A)
- Canada Gazette, Part II: Order Amending Schedule 1 to the Hazardous Products Act (Bisphenol A) (March 31, 2010)
- Final Screening Assessment (October 18, 2008)
- Proposed Risk Management Approach (October 18, 2008)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: