COVID-19: Mobilizing industry to provide medical supplies
Health Canada and other government departments are collaborating with the health product industry to provide medical supplies in response to COVID-19. Initiatives undertaken by Canada will:
- help identify and fill product gaps
- find innovative solutions to our health care needs
- provide funding to Canadian businesses to scale up production or re-tool their manufacturing lines
On this page
Supply and procurement
Canada needs products and services to meet the unprecedented demand due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These include medical products to prevent infection, such as N95 masks, vinyl gloves and hand sanitizers.
The full list of products and services needed is on Buyandsell.gc.ca. You can also find information on product specifications.
Suppliers authorized to sell in Canada and able to provide products or services that are needed must complete a submission form.
Manufacturing scale-up and re-tooling
Innovation Canada has issued a call to action to Canadian manufacturers that:
- can make needed supplies that meet product specifications
- have the potential to re-tool existing facilities or equipment quickly or
- have skilled workers who can be available to work anywhere in Canada
Manufacturers must complete an intake form.
Research and funding opportunities
Canadian and international organizations are offering grant programs and funding opportunities to find innovative solutions to help address the COVID-19 crisis. For example:
- National Research Council of Canada: COVID-19 Programs and Support
- Canadian Institute of Health Research: COVID-19 Rapid Research Funding Opportunity [closed]
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada: Alliance COVID-19 grants [closed]
- Innovative Solutions Canada: COVID-19 Funding Opportunities
- Strategic Innovation Fund: Funding to Advance Canada's Countermeasures in the Fight Against COVID-19
- Importing and exporting medical devices
- Health Canada's regulatory response to COVID-19: International engagement
- Prime Minister announces funding to advance the development of Canadian COVID-19 vaccine technologies
- Prime Minister announces Canada's Plan to Mobilize Industry to fight COVID-19
- Information for health product manufacturers and distributors in relation to COVID-19
- Prime Minister announces new support for COVID-19 medical research and vaccine development
- Government of Canada and provincial partners invest more than $109M in COVID-19 research
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: