ARCHIVED - Excerpt from an Employee Assistance Program Information Session Presentation
Employee Assistance Program
Description of EAP
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a confidential service that provides assessment, short term counselling, referral, and follow-up. It is a proven, easy way for individuals to identify and solve personal and work-related problems.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Confidential 24 Hour 1-800 bilingual service
- Immediate crisis counselling
- National network of certified counsellors
- Services offered to managers, supervisors, employees and (in most cases) immediate family / dependents
Your personal information is kept confidential and handled with care at all times, in keeping with Treasury Board policies and the Privacy Act.
Legal - subpoena, child abuse, threat to harm self or other
Principles of EAP Counselling & Referral
- Early recognition
- Short term counselling
- Appropriate referral and follow-up
- Prompt response to request for service
EAP Quality Assurance - EASNA / COA
EAS ensures the quality of its services in a number of ways:
- EAP users are asked to provide feedback on their experience with the service
- EAS ensures the best possible interventions to clients
- EAS' Quality Assurance supervisor visits counsellors offices to make sure they are respecting our mandate and confidentiality requirements
- All complaints are investigated by our Quality Assurance supervisor with a response provided to EAP users within two working days
- Highest standards of the industry: EAS has received accreditation from the Council of Accreditation (COA) and is a gold member of the Employee Assistance Society of North America (EASNA)
Most Common Reasons for Counselling
Your EAP is available to help you with your day-to-day issues.
- Family/couple (balancing work and family, dealing with children, etc.)
- Psychological health (mood problems, stress, anxiety)
- Work-related issues (conflict in the workplace, feeling overworked, etc.)
Account for most EAP cases
- 69% of clients report having less emotional difficulties after their counselling sessions;
- 71% of clients said they were less absent at work after counselling sessions;
- 98% of users stated that they would access the service again if they needed help.
Other Services Provided by EAS
- Advisory: immediate management coaching for manages to deal with psychosocial situations in the workplace that are unusual and exceptional
- Trauma: special group counselling to mitigate the effects of a traumatic event in the workplace
- Specialized Organizational Services (SOS): to help managers identify activities (e.g., workshops, lunch-and-learn) to further improve team effectiveness and employee wellness.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR): a national psychosocial counselling responder team for federal employees exposed to traumatic events as a result of natural disasters or emergencies.
How to Contact EAP...
24 hour toll free line/ 365 days a year anywhere in Canada
Helping you maintain and enhance your organizational health and employee wellness
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: