Health Canada and JTI-Macdonald meeting: Approach to and perspectives on Emerging Products – October 24, 2017
Download the alternative format
(PDF format, 78 KB, 2 pages)
JTI’s approach to and perspectives on Emerging Products
October 24, 2017
Health Canada (HC)
- James Van Loon
- Director General, Tobacco Control Directorate (TCD) (Chair)
- Denis Choinière
- Director, Tobacco Products Regulatory Office (TCD)
- Dana Beaton
- Acting Director, Office of Research and Surveillance (TCD)
- Saira David
- Director, Labelling and Plain Packaging Office (TCD)
- Manager, Regulations Division, Tobacco Products Regulatory Office (TCD)
- Manager, Reports Control Division, Tobacco Products Regulatory Office (TCD)
- Regulatory Specialist, Labelling and Plain Packaging Office (TCD)
- Advisor, Director General Office (TCD)
JTI-Macdonald Corp. (JTI)
- Caroline Evans
- Head of Corporate Affairs & Communication (JTI)
- Ian Jones
- Vice President, Reduced Risk Products (JTI)
- Leticia Vazquez Santos
- Manager, Reduced Risk Products Regulatory Initiatives (JTI)
- Shandy Harricharran
- Manager, Scientific Regulatory Affairs (JTI)
This meeting was held at the request of JTI so that the company could present its approach to and perspectives on Emerging Products.
The Chair opened the meeting by doing round table introductions.
HC reiterated its international obligation to protect tobacco control policies from the vested interests of the tobacco industry. In addition, in the interest of transparency, the department stated that it would be making a record of the meeting publicly available.
JTI presented its Ploom TECH hybrid product. It comprises a capsule with liquid that is vapourized and which then goes through granulated tobacco kept in the cap. The product comes in a small number of flavours.
The company representatives feel that reduced-risk products are the next wave of tobacco products. They also indicated that data on their product is available on the company’s science website (https://www.jt-science.com).
JTI representatives said they were looking at bringing Ploom TECH to the Canadian market in the next few months.
The meeting was then concluded.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: