Operational Bulletins 128 – July 13, 2009

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Mexico – New Temporary Resident Visa Requirements

This Operational Bulletin has expired.


By law, all visitors to Canada require a temporary resident visa (TRV), except citizens of countries where an exemption has been granted. Visa requirements for travellers to Canada are the country’s first line of defence in maintaining the health, safety and security of Canadians. Canada’s visa policy decisions are based on a country-by-country assessment of the established visa review criteria and thresholds.

Current status

An Order in Council amended paragraph 190(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) to remove Mexico from the list of countries whose nationals are exempt from the requirement to obtain a TRV prior to travel to Canada.

The amendment to the Regulations is effective as of July 14, 2009 00:01 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). As of this time, citizens of Mexico require a TRV to become temporary residents and to be authorized entry into Canada.

Following the coming into force of the amendment to the Regulations, overseas offices will process applications for temporary resident visas by nationals of Mexico.

Any applications for TRVs made by citizens of Mexico will have to be accompanied by the processing fee, as specified in the IRPR.

Transitional instructions

If a citizen of Mexico has:

  • a valid work or study permit which has not yet been used to enter Canada:
    • they will be instructed, via the mission web site, to send their original letter back to the visa office with their passport;
    • the file will be re-opened, a new letter will be issued and a counterfoil will be put in the passport; and
    • no additional fee will be required. Cost recovery code 999 is to be used with a note added to the file explaining why fees have been waived.
  • a valid work or study permit which has been used to enter Canada or valid temporary resident status and they have left Canada to go anywhere other than the United States or Saint-Pierre and Miquelon:
    • they will need to submit a completed TRV application; and
    • the usual TRV processing fees will apply.
  • a valid work or study permit which has been used to enter Canada and they will remain in Canada:
    • they may continue to work or study according to the validity of their permit.

Port of entry instructions

Under sections A24(3) and A25 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the following Ministerial Instructions and Public Policy have been issued.

Ports of entry are advised that a 48-hour grace period will be given starting from the effective date and time until July 15, 2009 23:59 EDT, in order to accommodate citizens of the affected country who seek entry into Canada. Officers conducting examinations of foreign nationals of Mexico are to provide such foreign nationals with temporary resident permits (TRPs) under the following circumstances:

  • they seek entry to Canada between July 14, 2009 00:01 EDT, and July 15, 2009 23:59 EDT;
  • they are not in possession of valid and subsisting temporary resident visas; and
  • are not otherwise inadmissible.

All persons allowed entry are to be issued a fee exempt TRP printed on form IMM 1442. The cost recovery code to be entered in FOSS is M25.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: