Operational Bulletin 193 – April 12, 2010

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Application of the 90 day bridging period for study permits and off-campus work permits and clarification of full-time versus part-time studies in the final academic session before graduation for issuance of off-campus work permits


Clarification regarding the length of issuance of study and off-campus work permits


As per OP 12, section 7.14, once an officer has determined that a study permit applicant is bona fide and meets the study permit requirements, the operational goal is to eliminate, or at least minimize, further transactions with the student. One of the most effective ways to minimize further transactions is to issue a long-term study permit, along with a long-term multiple-entry temporary resident Visa, if applicable. On regular straightforward cases, the recommended length for a study permit depends on the type of student. For most post-secondary students (and most adult students even if not at a post-secondary institution), the validity period of the study permit should correspond to the duration of their proposed course/program of study, plus 90 days.

As per OP 12 section, 5.23, off-campus work permits should be valid for the same period as the study permit and follow the same rule: duration of study, plus 90 days. (For the validity period for other types of study permits, please refer to OP 12, section 7.14 – Determining validity periods.)

When an officer decides to issue a study permit for a duration shorter than the period of study indicated in the letter of acceptance, notes should be entered into CAIPS/FOSS as to the reasons(s) for issuing a shorter duration permit.

Clarification between full-time versus part-time studies in the final session before graduation

If a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full-time status, but is in their last session, they will still be considered to be eligible for the Off-Campus Work Permit Program. For example, at an institution, a student may be required to be enrolled in at least four classes to be considered to have full-time status. However, a student in the last session of a program of study needs to take only two additional classes in order to receive a Canadian educational credential from that institution. That student will still be eligible for a work permit under this program. They will, however, still be restricted to working a maximum of 20 hours per week during this period.

Transition from Off-Campus Work Permits to Post-Graduation Work Permits

Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit—a one-time opportunity—during the 90-day transition period on completion of their academic program if they fulfill all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Since the validity period of an off-campus work permit is usually the same as the student’s study period (the duration of the academic program plus 90 days), they do not have to surrender their off-campus work permit to apply. They can continue to work under the Off-Campus Work Permit provided that they hold both a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit. Employment during this transition period can be full time.

Clarification of application

Unless circumstances warrant, officers are reminded to issue study permits and off-campus work permits for the duration of study, plus 90 days.

Page details

Date modified: