Parental consent

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

This section is about obtaining parental consent for minors applying for proofs, retention, and grants of citizenship.

Minor applying for proof

Minors of any age may apply for proof of their citizenship.

When a minor under the age of 14 applies for a proof, citizenship officials must tell the parents that the child has applied for proof of citizenship.

Encourage one parent to make the application on behalf of the child, or to countersign the child's application.

Minor between 14 and 17 applying for grant

An application under paragraph 5(2) of the Act for a grant of citizenship made on behalf of a minor between the ages of 14 and 17 must be signed by either parent and countersigned by the minor.

Oath form for minor under 14 years of age for receipt purposes

Non-concurrent minor applications for children under 14 are processed entirely at CPC-S. They are mailed the citizenship certificate.

If children under the age of 14 are granted citizenship and presented with certificates, the oath form must clearly indicate that it was used for receipt purposes only.

Indicate that the oath form was used as a receipt by drawing a line through the oath or making a note on the form.

It is not necessary to have an authorized citizenship official countersign the form.

However, one parent should acknowledge receipt of the certificate by signing the child's oath form. Note the date of the receipt. The oath form should show the effective date of citizenship.

Parent must be Canadian citizen before grant to minor

Paragraph 5(2) of the Citizenship Act says it is mandatory for one parent (biological or adoptive) to be a living Canadian citizen before granting citizenship to a minor.

Custodial parent(s) must consent to citizenship applications

In the event CIC becomes aware that there is a custody issue concerning minors for any citizenship application, consent from the custodial parent(s) is required. CIC will also cancel a certificate of citizenship where a non-custodial parent refuses to forward a certificate of citizenship to a custodial parent.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: